Chapter 26 - Aren't you a clever girl

As usual, the diner was bustling with customers. Staci wiped the sweat from her brow before tucking a wad of bills into her apron, she had been on a roll all morning and the last group of male customers had been particularly generous with their tips.

She hurried to wipe down the last spare booth before ushering in a young couple. She tucked a stray strand of blonde hair back into her bun before flashing her best tip worthy smile. "Good morning, my name is Staci and I'll be your waitress."

The young woman, who looked around her age, flashed her a timid smile as she handed them each a menu. "Please take your time looking at our menu. Today's special is the big breakfast; sausages, eggs, bacon, and hash browns, with toast. Can I start you off with a couple of coffees?"

The man had slung his arm over the booth and was looking at her as though she were a mere fly inconveniently buzzing around him. The woman cleared her throat, seemingly embarrassed by her companion's attitude. "Yes please, that would be great."

"Coming right up." Staci winked, before shuffling up to the counter and grabbing a freshly brewed pot of coffee. Returning to the couple's table, she poured them each a cup without so much as a look from the man and nothing more than a nervous smile from the woman. Staci returned to her spot at the counter and started to unnecessarily fiddle with the napkins, her eyes inconspicuously travelling to the corner booth to inspect the couple.

She pursed her lips in thought. The man was rather attractive in a scruffy, rough kind of way. He didn't give her any indication that he was even remotely interested in her, rather, it was almost as though he couldn't stand her. The woman, who Staci assumed was his girlfriend, was quite pretty. She had short, choppy hair resting just above her shoulders, the dark ebony colour a stunning contrast to her bright green eyes. She couldn't help but wonder if the black-rimmed glasses were prescription, or merely a fashion statement.

She reached into her apron and pulled out her handy notepad and pen. Walking over to the booth she suddenly slowed her pace as the atmosphere around the couple had become tense. The woman had her head down and looked to be fighting back tears and the man seemed frustrated, his jaw clenched tightly.

The woman lifted her head as she noticed Staci standing nearby, quickly blinking back tears. "We're ready to order," she confirmed, flashing another forced smile.

Staci nodded, her eyes reluctant to meet the man; she could feel him staring daggers at her. "What can I get you?"

The woman pointed at the menu. "I'll have the eggs benedict, please."

"Anything else today?" Staci asked politely.

The man leant forward, flashing her a painfully fake smile. "I'll have the same."

A chill ran down her spine at hearing his voice for the first time; it was smooth and dangerous, just like a snake. The sudden loud clash of cutlery dropping to the floor nearly had Staci jumping out of her skin.

"Sorry about that," the woman apologised nervously.

"Not a problem," Staci reassured, as she leaned over and picked up the fork, knife, and napkin the woman had accidentally knocked off the table.

The man had his elbow propped up on the table, his head resting against his hand as he watched their interaction closely. Staci quickly excused herself and returned behind the counter to place their order with the chef.

After handing over their order, she entered the kitchen and dropped the dirty cutlery into the sink and discarded the napkin into the bin. She collected some fresh napkins, new cutlery and tomato sauce for the table. Juggling everything in her arms, she turned to leave when a bright flash of colour caught her eye. Curious, she placed everything aside and reached into the bin, retrieving the napkin.