NINE

[ MAZ KANATA ]

"YOU'RE TAKING US TO MAZ?"

halo had never been good at suppressing her emotions. as a young girl, it was her greatest challenge. she could not count how many times luke had scolded her, how many times he had entreated her to calm her racing thoughts. she had improved, but as time went on and the jedi ways began to leave the forefront of her mind, it came back.

the frustration, the fear, the sadness. she felt them all very deeply.

and it showed now, as she stood in the cockpit of the falcon. han did not look at her. he only continued to work on the panel in front of him.

"the first order will pick up the signature of the falcon too easily. i need to get us to a different ship, and maz has lots of them."

halo pressed her lips together.

"do i have to-"

"yes."

she did not argue with him any further, and instead led herself out of the cockpit and into the main hall. she knew he was right. maz would be glad to see her, but could halo say the same? the little woman had a way of telling one things about themselves that they did not want to admit. halo didn't want to hear it. and she didn't want finn and rey too.

"did he say where we're going?" rey asked, her eyes lighting up when halo reentered the room.

"takodana."

finn raised his brows, obviously trying to work out where the planet was. but halo was sure they had never heard of it. it was very small, located beyond the reaches of the popular systems. that's why maz never had any trouble with it. it was an easy place to hide.

"we're picking up a new ship there. and then we'll get you back to the base, little guy," halo said, patting BB-8's head. the tiny droid whistled joyfully at the contact, and rolled around. halo hadn't realized how much she would miss the little thing. he really was one of the best units she had ever met.

it didn't take long for them to enter the dense atmosphere at takodana. halo watched calmly as the thick forests below blurred in her vision, and as light bounced off the peaceful lakes that seemed to litter its surface. after living for so long on jakku, it was nice to see so much green.

she thought of lor san tekka. he loved the forests.

"i didn't know there was this much green in the whole galaxy."