Chapter 35

Happy New Year loves! Thank you so much for getting TAE to 600K reads! It means the world to me <3

Now, there is a mature scene in this chapter, so if you're not comfortable please skip past the section marked by the ^^^. Thank you!

ALEXIS

From the way Hudson was kissing me, it seemed like he was ready to mate right then and there.  He seemed to have forgotten that we were only part way done with the ceremony and that we were pretty much making out in front of five hundred people.

Mr. Devon cleared his throat awkwardly, "Alpha. Luna."

Hudson released my lips slowly and pressed his lips to the corner of my mouth for a moment before pulling back and facing Mr. Devon. It took me a second to gather myself and glare at Hudson for making me so scatter-brained with his stupid mouth.

He had a small smirk on his face as he listened to Mr. Devon continue his speech on the importance of an Alpha and Luna and their roles. As much as I should have been listening, I had heard this speech before and I could not concentrate with my senses still on overdrive.

"Luna," Mr. Devon said, "Since the Moon Goddess has accepted the bond, you must now lead a buffalo hunt, and at least ten buffalo must be killed by you. The first buffalo you kill will be for the sacrifice and the rest will be to feed the pack."

This was the first time I had ever heard of a Luna doing this and ten buffalo? At this time of year? This was a nearly impossible task.

The look on my face must have revealed my inner turmoil because he smiled and whispered, "This is a tradition for the Riveter Pack. By feeding all of them tonight, you promise to take care of them no matter the cost or task."

I swallowed and nodded, "So I have to go alone?"

"Of course not, you can take a small group of pack warriors with you to help. However, you have to be the one to kill the buffalos."

Hudson stiffened beside me and took my hand, "I want to go with her. She could get hurt."

"Alpha, this is something your Luna has to do by herself. It shows that she can be independent and take care of the pack when you're not around. You're not always going to be there to protect the Luna, are you?"

"But–"

"Hudson," I said, "I'll be fine. You know that I can handle myself."

His jaw was ticking as he fought with himself on what to do. I knew it wasn't just him worried about me, his wolf was also worried about what could happen to me.

I smiled and kissed his cheek, "Okay, but promise me you won't freak out?"

"Promise."

***

HUDSON

I paced back and forth anxiously, wishing that I was there with Alexis as she took down those dumb buffalos. Alexis had chosen to take a group of female warriors with her instead of bringing male warriors, saying something about letting the women show off their skills instead.

My heart was pounding with every step I took. Alexis had mind-linked me earlier saying they had found a herd of buffalo, but that didn't make me feel any better.

 I swear to the Moon Goddess, if one of those buffalos gets even a scratch on her, I'll bring them back to life and kill them myself.

"Hudson, you need to calm down, man. Nothing's going to happen to her as long as Lacey is with her," Matthew stated, stepping in front of me so I stopped my vigorous pacing.