Unexpected Visitors

Ling Ling heard the trickle of soft conversation as she walked in her house. She came home after a long day at the market. Her job required her to be on her feet all day long, making her feet throb in pain and her muscles ache tenderly. The last thing she expected was an unannounced guest this late in the evening.

The first thing she noticed was the Lao's car parked in the driveway. It was a luxury sedan only wealthy people can afford, and the Lao's are one of the wealthiest family in town.

Ling Ling wondered what brought them in her house? Surely, people like them have better things to do than to visit a family like hers.

Unless, they owed the Lao's quite a bit of money, and based on her family's financial stress, there's no doubt they owe them plenty.

Ling Ling continued towards the hallway, tea and crackers served on the coffee table in the living room and based on the steam curling out of the teacups, the Lao's haven't been in her house long.

They must've just gotten here, Ling Ling thought.

She kept her soft soundless footsteps hoping not to get noticed when her mother's thin voice cut through the evening, so loud and annoying that Ling Ling jumped startled at the sound it.

"Ling Ling! You home!" Her mother yelled.

Ling Ling turned around and forced a wide smile. "Yes, ma. I just got home."

"Good, good! Come here, child." Her mother motioned her daughter to come near. The way she was - was over exaggerated that her theatrical enthusiasm made Ling Ling cringe inside. This was hardly her mother, Ling Ling thought. Her mother is a stressed-out woman with permanent frown who yelled at her all the time.

Something's got to give.

Ling Ling walked over to join her mother and their guests as much as she would rather escape. It's rude not to, especially since the Lao's had recently lost their son to a car accident only a few months ago.

It was a big news that captivated the entire town.

The son and the only heir to the wealthiest family in town killed in a freak car accident.