Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen 

With the coming days that passed by, Charlotte wasn't so deterred by his company any more. They spent mornings together, strolling through the estate as they talked. They spoke of everything and anything, she shared her dreams with him. He hadn't known she was interested in Paris but she spoke of the art and books as if she seen them in person. Perhaps when he proposed to her, he'd also tell her how they met. She wasn't so ill tempered and bad mannered in his presence anymore. And whatever she desired, he'd do his best to fulfill it. He had been wary that she'd be a woman of materialistic wants, but she proved him wrong again. She'd ask for books to read, his favorites. She'd request for music sheets so she could play for Cornelius. She had even asked for extra jam to give to the servants who took good care of her. And such an act of kindness only made him love her more.

"All these days have gone by and I still haven't met your mother."

Jonathan's face darkened at the mention of his mother.

"What's wrong?"

"I think it's best you stay away from her. She wouldn't have an interest in meeting you."

"But Jonathan, she's your mother." Charlotte looked at him in curiosity. It puzzled her immensely as to why the woman never participated in any events. She had seen her figure always looming overhead in the same corridor of the house, watching.

"You won't meet her and I hope you never will."

She looked at him, studying the tenseness of his jaw and the sudden coldness of his tone. At this moment Charlotte had decided for herself that she'd find a way to do so anyways. She wanted to know everything about Jonathan, especially the woman who had brought him into the world. If he wouldn't tell her, then she'd take it upon herself to meet him.

"Don't start getting ideas in your head," he murmured, looking at her knowingly.

"I can have as many ideas as I want. It's my head after all," she rebutted quickly, sticking out her tongue before scampering off for luncheon. Jonathan watched her with a sigh, a smile appearing on his face again as he watched her badger the butler to allow her extra food as usual. Although Charlotte Cecil was a handful, she was worth it.

Evening came and Charlotte had climbed out of bed again. After so many days spent at the Richmond house, she knew exactly where she was heading off into. The corridors were darkly illuminated by the lamps. She heard pacing from a room - the Lady was still awake. Quietly, Charlotte knocked on the door, announcing herself quickly. But there was no response, only more pacing. She took a deep breath and opened the door.

There stood the Lady dressed in all black, muttering under her breath as she walked back and forth chanting something under her breath. And at the sound of Charlotte's arrival, she swung her head around to focus her gaze on the intruder. If it weren't for her age, she would've been quite beautiful. And staring at the woman she realized that the eyes that Jonathan had were a reflection of his mother's'. However, while Jonathan had a sweet tenderness often marked in his eyes, her's were darkened by rage.

"You bitch!" She screamed as she made large strides toward Charlotte.

"I-I'm sorry," Charlotte stammered, moving away from her in fear as she watched the lady pick up a fire iron from it's place and pointed it at her.

"IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT," She screamed.

"I'm sorry," she cried out as tears were starting to well in her eyes. She wanted to run but her feet seemed to have frozen in place.

Jonathan had been in his studies, focusing on yet another book that he had started. This was one was recommendation from Charlotte and he was interested to see if it was as well written as she thought it to be. His ears picked up on footsteps wandering around him. And he knew that at this hour of the night, it wasn't possibly the servants. They were all in bed, or at least they should be. He placed the book on the table besides him before exiting. He caught a glimpse of a familiar shape vanishing in the dark. It was Charlotte again, what was she up to now? He followed her path, dread building up as realized where she was headed. And that's when the man picked up his pace - he needed to get there before anything happened. He'd never forgive himself or his mother to say the least.

She heard nothing but the woman cursing out loud, incoherent words strung together. All the sounds in the room seemed to have amplified. The sparks of the fireplace sounded like drums and even the floor boards were moaning.

The iron was right in the way, she knew it was going to burn her.

Charlotte was forced into a corner with nowhere to run and she closed her eyes, awaiting for the pain. But there was no sensation, only a gruff yell that echoed. As she opened her eyes, she realized that Jonathan's figure had blocked her from the scalding stick. He had pushed her out of the way, taking the end of the stick first.

"Thank god you're alright." He looked at her gently, his arms wrapped around hers. "Run," he murmured in her ear.

He pushed past his mother as the duo ran through the hallways. His hand was on hers and he willed himself to move through the scorching pain that seared his back. He felt sick to the stomach but he couldn't be weak now.

His mother screamed, footsteps drowning out faintly until she was heard no longer. In light of the lamp, Charlotte noticed how badly the fire iron had burned his back. Even though he was clothed, his shirt had not absorbed enough of the impact. She tore it from him and gasped in horror at the boiling of his flesh.

"Jonathan!" she cried out.

He crumpled to the ground, his breath shortening as he looked at her.

"It's alright, as long as you're safe ... that's all that matters."

And then he closed his eyes, leaving Charlotte to scream for help. 

A/N: WELP I apologize profusely for this late update. Got really hectic getting home and celebrating the holidays with the fam. And then the weather was absolute hell and sickness decided to hit me in the face. But I hope everyone had a good New Year and have had an awesome start to 2018. I'll do my best to update and finish up Chasing Charlotte soon before classes in college begin! On my part I'm also debating if I should turn this little novel (of sorts) into a series. Anyone interesting in a sequel with William's story? Lemme know! As usual, comment, vote and etc :) Cya soon in the next one (I hope lol)