7. "You traumatized the poor guy."

I met Aaron before Damian in school. Aaron was a year younger than me but he was a year ahead in school. We got along right from the start and we grew close over the years in school. At the beginning of our senior year, he introduced me to Damian in a party he hosted in his parent's house. I don't really remember the occasion of the party, guess it didn't matter. I remember looking everywhere for Aaron who had disappeared. I was never a party girl so Aaron was my safe haven in every party. He was the cool kid. Everyone wanted to be around him. I remember spotting him out in the backyard, across the pool. I walked my way around people until I reached him. He was talking with Damian who had a beer in his hand. I hadn't seen Damian before so I found myself checking him out. I admired his tallness, his broad shoulders, and I liked the fact that he was the only one in the party wearing a suit.

"Hey, there you are." Aaron said when he saw me.

"Hey," I said forcing myself to look away from the handsome guy standing next to him. "I lost you."

Aaron grinned. "Well you found me. This is my brother, Damian." He turned to look at him. "This is Rebecca."

Damian turned to look at me. "Well I finally get to meet my little brother's best friend." He extended his hand out. "It is a pleasure, Rebecca."

I couldn't look away from his brown eyes. I think I smiled. I meant to smile as I shook his hand. "Thanks." His hand was firm and I liked the touch of his warm skin against mine.

"Hey, Aaron!"

Aaron looked behind me to his buddies who were calling him. "Hey! Coming!" he said as he walked towards them.

"Would you like something to drink?" Damian asked me.

I shook my head. "No, thank you. I have an exam tomorrow. I shouldn't even be here."

He half smiled. "Me too. Are you majoring in business like my brother?"

"Accounting, actually. What about you?"

"I'm actually in my last year of medical school."

I raised my eyebrows. "Wow."

He chuckled. "What?"

"You don't look that old."

"I graduated college when I was twenty." He shrugged. "I'm sort of a nerd."

I smiled at him. "Well, you don't look like a nerd either."

In my head, I was doing the math. If he was on his fourth year of medical school and he graduated college when he was twenty-years-old then he was about twenty-four. I was twenty-one. He did look more mature than most of the people that were in the party and it didn't go unnoticed that all the girls were checking him out whenever they could.

Damian looked at me for a moment. "I can't believe we've never met before. Aaron had you well hidden."

I smiled. "Well, now we know each other."

"Yes, we do." Damian grinned. "I have a feeling we're gonna see each other more often, Rebecca..."

I stared at Damian's back as he slept. Who would have thought I was gonna marry that man I met at Aaron's party? It was so easy to fall for Damian. He was so caring. So attentive. Always sending me texts or giving me flowers. I fell in love with him like an idiot. Married him a year after meeting him and then leaving him a year later. And now here we were. Three years later. Technically, we have been married for four years. Though counting the last three years felt like cheating.