Chapter Twenty-Six: Thomas the Creep

“Gavin, can you just stand next to Ali? You are being unreasonable!” Sarah said frustrated with the lack of progress our group was making. We only had a few more days until Spring Break and Sarah was going away with her family and knowing mine we would probably go somewhere to visit someone famous or something, so it was really one of our last few days to work on our dance.

“I can’t because she told me to keep my distance,” Gavin said standing at least a few feet away from me, leaning up against the wall.

“Look, Gavin just because I told you to stay away from me doesn’t mean we can’t get this dance done, I want a good grade you know.”

“And I want some answers,” He retorted.

I sighed massaging my temple with my fingers, it really wasn’t that easy telling someone the real reason why you had to stay away from them. Sure my dad could easily deal with the whole Ashley situation with the snap of a finger, but I don’t want him to know that I screwed up-again.

“Look, you two.” Sarah spoke. “This is between you guys not me, so unless you guys want to work get your problems figured out because I am out of here.” Sarah said, her tone filled with annoyance.

“Where are you going?” I asked confused.

“Somewhere, you two aren’t.” Sarah said slamming the door shut on her way out.

“What? She can’t do that, we are in the middle of class.” I said walking over to the door and pulling it open. I stuck my head out in the deserted halls, there was no sign of her. I let out a sigh turning back to Gavin, “She can’t do that can she?” I questioned.

He shrugged, “I don’t know and I frankly do not care.” Gavin said simply picking up his backpack and making his way towards me.

He walked around me, pulling the door open and stalking out. “Where do you think you’re going?” I called out to him.

“So now you care?” Gavin called back, not bothering to turn around.

I watched as his silhouette got smaller and smaller as he continued to walk down the hall, “I’ve always cared.” I muttered under my breath, closing the door and sliding my back against it and sinking down to the floor.

*

By the time I got home, I was exhausted even though it was only Tuesday I felt like my brain was emotionally and physically drained.

“How was school, Alice?” A voice said causing me to look up from untying my shoes.

“Draining,” I said kicking of my shoes. It seemed that I really haven’t seen my own mother in ages, I know she has been out of the country for a few weeks but it was good to have her back home. “How was your trip?” I said walking over to her and wrapping her in a hug, my mother’s body tensed under my arms. She was most definitely not expecting a hug.

“It was good-“ She said cutting herself off, obviously startled by my hug. “Is everything okay, honey?”

“Peachy!” I said pulling out of the hug to face my mother, “Why?”

“You’re not usually a touchy person, unless you’ve had a bad day. So tell me what’s wrong?” She said sympathetically dropping her hands that contained mail to her sides.

I gave her a small smile, “I am good mom, trust me.”

She gave me a small smile in return, “That’s what I am afraid of.”