Wattpad Original
There are 7 more free parts

4.

I nestle my scarf tighter around my neck as I walk to school, my two best friends on either side of me.

Kai's shoulder bumps into mine as he avoids a significantly large patch of gum splatter on the pavement, wrinkling his nose to show his distaste.

We near the school and my lips part as my eyes focus on Haze.

He is strolling unhurriedly towards the gates, his hands dug deep in the pockets of his leather jacket. His dark hair is pulled back into a messy bun, with a loose tendril falling down the side of his face. The bright, morning sun appears to cast a glow on his pale skin, highlighting its marble-like texture.

"Look at her," Kai groans, waving a lethargic hand at me.

"It's so cute," Heidi gushes, clearly getting the wrong signal from Kai.

He casts an annoyed stare in her direction, but I'm hardly paying attention. My pace picks up and I don't even realise, until Kai's fingers grip my wrist.

"Hey, where are you going?"

I reluctantly drag my eyes from Haze. "I'm going to go talk to him."

"No, stay here," he insists.

"I will just be a second," I assure him, before I pick up a jog.

I fall in step with Haze and offer a glowing smile. He sighs through his nose at me, not looking my way.

"Hey Haze," I chirp. "How's your morning been?"

"Peaceful, until now," he drawls, his cheeks light pink from his body heat.

"I was thinking; we should exchange numbers."

He draws a dark eyebrow up and flickers his magnetic, blue orbs in my direction.

"You want my number?"

"Yeah," I grin. "So, I can text you? For the party?"

He rolls his eyes, clearly seeing that as my excuse to ask for his number. "The party that isn't held until next weekend?"

I feel my cheeks warm as I realise that it is a bit lame. My smile widens as I pretend to not be mortified. "Yep."

"Why do I have a feeling you'll start harassing me with messages if I give out my digits?" he asks flatly, pulling his finger-less gloved hand from his pocket and brushing the bit of escaped hair behind his ear. I bite my lip, finding the act incredibly sexy.

"That's a risk you're going to have to take," I tell him.

He rubs his fingers over his forehead. He has slight bags under his eyes. I let my eyes drink in his high cheekbones, long lashes and strong jawline. He is devilishly handsome.

"Fine," he gives in after a few moments.

I can't wipe the grin off my face as I pull out my phone. We swap numbers and he flat-out refuses to let me take a selfie in his phone under my contact name.

"Why not? You might forget what I look like?" I tease.

"Doubtful."

I meet his eyes and wonder if he means that as an insult or a compliment. It's hard to tell – his expression is completely impassive.

"Want me to walk you to your locker?" I ask him, even though I can feel the glare of Kai burning holes in the back of my head.

"You're a weird person," he replies with a head shake.

"I'll take that as a yes. How was your evening?"

His face hardens immediately as we begin to walk inside. "Next."