Wendigo

We'd stuck around Sam's place for a week, trying to find the thing that killed Jessica as well as Sam and Dean's mom. We were unsuccessful, so we headed to the coordinates that Dad had left for us. They'd led to Blackwater Ridge, Colorado. So, we were all on our way there to find him. Sam was bitter the entire ride there though, and he had nightmares every time he went to sleep, not that I blamed him. I was looking out the window when Sam startled upright from his nap after Dean turned the music up. I glanced over at him and then Dean, Dean had glanced at him and then me. "You okay?" Dean asked as he glanced between Sam and the road. Sam pinched the corners of his eyes to his nose, "Yeah, I'm fine," he told Dean, his voice sounded slightly shakey. I wrapped my blanket tighter around me, still clinging to Sylvester. "Another nightmare?" Dean asked, sounding a bit casual. Sam only cleared his throat, "Wanna drive for a while?" Dean tried, Sam scoffed, "In your whole life, you never once asked me that." Sam sounded skeptical, I was a bit skeptical too. Whenever we helped another hunter on a hunt, they weren't even allowed in the car. "Just thought you might want to, nevermind," Dean told him as he looked back to the road. "Look, man, you're worried about me. I get it and thank you, but I'm perfectly okay." Sam told Dean gently. Dean bit his lip and gave a dismissive, "Mhm." I leaned forward holding Sylvester, "Do you want to hold Sylvester?" I asked Sam. He turned back to look at me, "Uh, no. You can keep him thanks," Sam told me a bit awkwardly. I shrugged and resumed my original position. Sam reached for the map on the dash, "Alright," he said as he cleared his throat again, "Where are we?" Sam asked as he unfolded the map and started to look at it. "We are just outside of Grand Junction," Dean told him, getting a bit louder as the sentence ended. "You know what?" Sam asked with a sigh. "Maybe we shouldn't have left Stanford so soon..." Sam said as he looked at the map. Dean turned to look at him a little skeptical, "Sam, we dug around there for a week. We came up with nothing," Dean told him before adding, "If you want to find the thing that killed Jessica-" Dean started. Sam finished, "We gotta find Dad first." Dean looked back over at Sam, "Dad disappearing, and this thing showing up after twenty years? It's no coincidence. Dad will have the answers, he'll know what to do," Dean sounded confident. I nodded my head with his statement, Dad always knew what to do. "It's weird, man. These coordinates he left us, this Blackwater Ridge..." Dean looked back over at him, "What about it?" he asked. "There's nothing there, it's just woods." Sam put the map down on his lap and looked at the road ahead, "Why is he sending us to the middle of nowhere?" Dean only looked at him and sped up the car.

We pulled up at a little entrance to the National Park, it looked like a little sign-in area. Sam made his way over to a 3-D map, "So, Black Water Ridge is pretty remote, it's cut off by these canyons here. Rough terrain, dense forest, abandoned silver and gold mines all over the place." Meanwhile, Dean made his way over to a picture on the wall, I was holding his hand. "Dude, look at the size of this friggin' bear." Sam looked up from the map and made his way over to Dean, "And a dozen or more grizzlies in the area. It's no nature hike, that's for sure." I held Sylvester tighter to me, "You boys aren't planning to go out near Black Water Ridge by any chance?" We all turned around to see a Park Ranger, his tag said 'Wilkinson'. "Oh, no sir, we're environmental study majors from U.C. Boulder. We're just working on a paper," Sam told the older looking man. "Recycle man," Dean told him with a chuckle. The ranger looked down at me before looking back up at them, "Bull, you're friends with that Haley girl aren't right?" he asked as he pointed at us with his coffee mug. "Yes," Dean told him, "Yes we are Ranger... Wilkinson." The ranger looked at his tag, "Well I will tell you exactly what I told her. Her brother filled out a backcountry permit saying he wouldn't be back from Black Water until the twenty-fourth. Now that's not exactly a missing persons now, is it? Tell that girl to quit worrying. I'm sure her brother's just fine," Sam turned to look at a few brochures, "We will. Well, that Haley girl's quite a pistol, huh?" Ranger Wilkinson turned around, "That, is putting it mildly." Dean seemed to come up with an idea, "Actually you know what would help, is if I could show her a copy of that backcountry permit. You know, so she could see her brother's return date." The ranger sighed and we followed him to the front desk.