28. Surprise?

CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT:
SURPRISE?

- Jihee -

It was such a lame excuse to get out of this situation. I was alert about the happening of an encounter with him but never did I expect to bump into him this way at the airport, so I ended up blurting our those things about not knowing him. I hurried out of the place without looking back and got into the first cab I caught.

"What was that?" I expected this coming.

"I don't know who was that, " this was an obvious lie but I tried anyway.

"Park Jimin. That was the name of your ex-boyfriend, and from what you told me, he cheated on you and you guys broke up before you left this place. But what was that? It seemed like a different story. Did you lie to me?" he questioned.

This was exactly what I told him since I had no intention to bring up the near-death experience and have his sympathy. I even told him that the scar I had in my chest was from a surgery I went through a few years back, which he was forced to believe, even though I got asked a lot of questions and I somehow handled that thing awfully well.

"It was a half-truth. I still haven't told you everything that happened nor have any plans to do so, " I simply told him.

"Oh right? I have no right to know about it anyway. I mean who am I? I'm just a person named Samuel who sleeps with you, " he suddenly raised his voice at me.

"YES!" I spat that three lettered word on his face and looked away.

I had told the driver to bring us to my house, so I gawked out of the window until the car arrived at the said location, and this person who had been sulking the whole time hurried out to carry the luggage all by himself. I offered him a hand and was allowed to carry at least one of them.

"I'm sorry, " he apologized.

"Yeah, " I gave him a simple response and unlocked the door.

This was the house I used to live with my parents before they— and I had a lot of memories with this place, mostly good ones, but the state of this place was horrible. I would love to call this a place of spiders and rats, and many more to encounter.

"I've to clean now, " I sighed.

"I have a whole body to offer to help you clean, " he covered the lower half of his face from the dusty air and spoke behind it.

"Thanks a lot, but why don't we go to your home first and you introduce me to your family?" I asked and he agreed.

I suggested him to take a bus to his place and it took a while for us to arrive there.

The house was huge, like a mansion, and there were a lot of maids as well. I forgot to mention the garden, a huge pool, actually two, and some great cars I passed by to get to the actual house. I never realized that he was this rich and never did he made me feel that way. I wondered how tiny my house must have looked in his eyes.

"Samuel?"

I looked up at the owner of that voice and the woman ran towards us to hug him, but I was taken aback the moment she gave a peck on his lips. It surely made me feel uncomfortable and so did to him, but even more when she pulled him into the house and I had to follow from behind.

"I thought you're gonna come in about four hours, but what a surprise? But we got a bigger surprise for you, " she kept on blabbering as I began to feel uneasy and had this urge to walk back.

"Is it my son? Oh, I missed you, " an elderly woman walked to him.

"What's going on here, Mom?" he finally decided to speak.

"It's our engagement, " the woman who kissed him earlier spoke.

"Wait— Jihee?" I finally got noticed by his mother and was asked to stay for the engagement ceremony.

The way I felt was indescribable, and I reminded myself that I was just a woman who used to sleep with him. I sneaked my way out of the preparation of the small ceremony which looked big enough to call it huge for me and decided to take a walk around the house before the actual event would begin.

"Hey?"

I turned around.

"So this is the end?" I asked him.

"I think so, but I have something to tell you. That I broke the rules anyway. I've started to have feelings for you and began to think that maybe it was possible for us to— you know, " he confessed.

"Oh, this is the end, and I also have something to tell you. I've actually planned to stay here longer than a month and I had already quit my job. I guess I have some unfinished job here. I'm sorry for not telling you, but guess you'll also be staying for longer, " I stepped back that had me stumble and almost fall on the ground but he caught me.

I could feel his uneven breath against my nose as he moved closer to me and those eyes shut close. I was in the middle of figuring out if this was wrong or not but his soft lips already landed on mine, and I stepped back to break the contact.

"I'm still not engaged, " he stated.

"I know."

That was it. I wanted him for the last time.

It led to a hot kiss right before his engagement and was carefree about possibly being spotted by anyone. I could taste the liquor he had consumed which was kinda faint, but I loved the way he played with my lips and tongue for the last time. I found my being greedy and craving for more than a kiss.

"I'm sorry, " but I pushed him away.

"Your best friend asked me this morning to stay with you all the time, not let you go out of my sight and take good care of you. It was weird. Is everything okay?" he stopped me from running away and asked.

"He's kinda overprotective, " I told him.

"Do I perhaps have a chance with you? I can stop this engagement, " his voice trembled.

"No."

I walked into the hall and included myself among the guests, who had been waiting for the event to begin as if nothing happened. I had been with this person for a year now and it somehow hurt me to see him with another woman, but this was meant to be anyway.

••••••••••

"Sometimes letting go is the only way to heal"

••••••••••