04 | The Secret Bargain

The Golden Palace of Argo, the most beautiful structure in the west of Faylarka was about to fall into the hands of the most revered and dangerous General of the world. No one had raised a single voice. As history and legends sang, the loss of Aaenna was well deserved. Justice had been served.

However, the young crown prince, Julek Donwan, merely eighteen years old when war came knocking at his door, had certain plans of his own.

A week before the General declared the War over, a week before he found the perfect gift for his respected High King, he met with Crown Prince Julek.

Of course because the desperate fallen prince had requested a meet.

Jovan Karyen sat on the head seat of his War Council, surrounded by his favoured commanders and their trusted soldiers. Each of them rejoiced their victory in their given regions and offered their gratitude to their General in the form of gold and rubies, jewels and expensive silk.

Jovan was far from accepting anything. He had enough back at home. So, he asked them to fill their coffers and send them off to the High King. The rest, he made sure was used to make camps for Aaennine refugees, despite his commanders' resistance. But, none of them dared to question him. He was after the Aaennine king, not the people.

Cold wind threw open flaps of the massive tent the men sat in, making the aurum candlelight flicker. "One day more, and you'll have the victory you always wanted, Jovan." A hand clapped his back.

The General looked to his side, meeting the gaze of Haeron, the commander of the biggest legion of Jovan's army, and also his very good friend.

"It remains to be declared, Ron," Jovan added with a gentle nod. "The Crown Prince has requested to meet me. I wonder what he has to say."

Haeron smiled wickedly. "He'll beg for mercy." He pointed a finger at Jovan. "Don't give it to him." As if he would. For Norikk and Jovan, it was their own vengeance for what they had to go through years ago. It was a blood debt that the Donwans were paying to them. It was justice.

Jovan looked at his friend for a moment before he fixed his eyes back to Julek's letter.

'I have a bargain for you, General Karyen. One that you wouldn't be able to resist. Give me a chance to save my realm, and offer you the victory that you rightfully deserve.'

The twin daggers strapped to his back thirsted for blood, and he himself felt like this would give him the much needed relief. Slaying the son of the man who had ruined his life would release him from his nightmares.

But no matter what the Aaennines had done to them, bloodshed, war can never be justified. A lot had been lost. So, a part of him that was still human to some extent, considered this arrangement and agreed to it.

He sensed movement outside his tent and took it as a sign to leave for the neutral territory where Jovan had decided to meet Julek. Mervothe's border.

"I must leave now," he said, nodding at the commanders. He got to his feet, followed by all the men and took his leave without any other exchange of words.

Just when he'd mounted his horse, he saw Haeron walk out of the tent. He walked to him and patted Jovan's dark stallion.

Looking up, he said, his voice shining with warning, "I know you only listen to Jozeph and Norikk, but be careful with the prince. I don't trust these people. Only Valdr knows what he is up to."

•••••

The journey up north was exhausting and awfully cold. The days were warmer, but the nights brought the worst chills Rosaline had ever encountered.