5.2

" There are some that only employ words for the purpose of disguising their thoughts. "

Voltaire

➴ ➴ ➴ ➴ ➴ ➴

5.2 ; DOMINANCE.

GIDEON LUNGED FORWARD AND hit the mute button on the recorder, now signaling that they were free to speak. Mr. Davenport's eyes shifted from person to person in the room, his face a pale shade from the strain.

"What's he doing?" The father demanded.

Derek sighed from behind Caroline, "What most of the offenders we catch try to do...establish dominance."

"How long can we keep him on hold?" Elle asked.

Hotch shook his head in response, "We can't put her on."

Beside her, Cheryl whirled to Hotch. "Why not? I want to help. I'll talk to him."

Caroline bit her lip as she thought. It didn't make sense—Cheryl didn't have the authority that her father holds. The unsub shouldn't want to talk to her. Yet, they're standing here, discussing their next move when the best one in clear and simple.

"I think that she should speak to him," Caroline admitted to the room, which caused everyone to give her shifty look, letting her know that she wasn't helping to calm Cheryl's confidence.

Before anyone could say a word to her, the unsub's voice cut through the phone, agitated, "Did I not make myself clear? I want to talk to Cheryl? Put her on the phone. Now."

Gideon's look on his face was spaced out, deep in thought, "No."

"I think she should speak to him," Caroline repeated again, steeling her voice. "He wants to talk to her. The more he speaks, the more he reveals."

"She is right, Gideon," Derek admitted begrudgingly.

Cheryl stepped forward, her hands clasped in front of her as if she were begging, "He has my sister. Please."

Gideon glanced between Cheryl and Mr. Davenport. It was silent for a moment before Gideon made his decision.

"No."

"I'm waiting," the unsub drawled, his voice dark and menacing.

"Caroline," Gideon motioned the young agent over and she sighed reluctantly, but she obliged and stood over the phone as Gideon's finger hovered over the unsure button.