#8 Sunday Evening "Coffee Block"

"Is every day like that?" Marie blew out a labored breath as she leaned her hip against the counter.

Lacey nodded. "Yep, they all come in at once."

"They must have a group text." Marie narrowed her eyes at the door frame. "Besides who in their right mind needs a double shot three hours 'til midnight?"

"A different type." Lacey guessed as she bussed the empty tables.

It was seventeen minutes after official close and all the customers had left the shop satisfied. After posing the question to Marie, she'd merely chuckled and settled in at the register. She was a quick learner, despite not knowing the difference between a macchiato and a frappuccino. Better yet she was a great entertainer and kept up enough small talk to keep the customers jovial while Lacey fixed the fastest caffeine induced drinks of her life.

"You know I bet they are all night traders - like day traders but you know."

"At night?" Lacey finished and Marie nodded. "Is there such a thing?"

"Must be, but I haven't got a clue."

Lacey chuckled. She was still shook from the events earlier in the hour and Marie had sensed it. All the while as they served 'night traders' Marie cracked jokes, referring to a croissant in a thick french accent reminiscent of The Holy Grail and writing customers names on the cups as she sang the 'Name Game' song.

"You really don't have to help me." Lacey said as she rounded the counter to find Marie tieing up a garbage bag.

"Lucky for you I have a soft spot for damsels in distress." Bent over Marie twisted her head under her arm to wink.

Lacey placed her hands on her hips. "I most certainly am not in distress."

Marie laughed and straightened. "You should've seen yourself when that first group of men walked in." Marie imitated her eyes bugging out.

Lacey threw her dirty towel at the woman to which she caught it easily. Lacey couldn't help but laugh, and secretly she was thankful that Marie had yet to bring up Lacey's frozen state earlier in the evening.

Minutes later the two found themselves kneeling on the tile floor, shoulder deep into the beautiful, but poorly designed bakery case. Everything was cleaned and packed for closing, save for the case. Thanks to Marie's genial small talk several of the business folk had bought a sweet snack, requiring the display to be rearranged.

One pastry - an almond croissant - had gotten knocked between the shelving and the glass. There being no way to open the case from the front Lacey and Marie were forced to stick their arms into the limiting slots and fumbled in the dark.

Concentrating on locating the flakey treat Lacey almost didn't notice how close Marie's face was. Her eyes flickered to Marie's just as she glanced away.

Had Marie been looking at her?

Lacey's heart fluttered and the two pretended to concentrate on the fallen pastry rather than their proximity.

"Got it!" Marie squealed in delight as she extracted her hand from the case, and with it a slightly deformed croissant.

"Your payment for tonight." Lacey smiled silently thanking Marie again for sticking around.

Neither made a move to rise from their position. Lacey leaned against the closed door of the case, a quiet sigh escaping her lips.

All night Lacey had noticed how close their bodies would come, inches from touching as they worked the tight space behind the counter. A brush of the arm there, a hand hovering at the small of her back here. She let her eyes drop to Marie's lips.

They looked redder than they had before, maybe it was because of the bright red jumper Marie had worn today. Should Lacey lean in? Would Marie meet her halfway?

Did Marie even want to kiss her?

God. She hoped so.

Not giving Lacey another second to think Marie reached out to tuck a loose strand of hair behind her ear.

Lacey's breathing hitched.

She did. Lacey confirmed the thought as Marie's eyes traveled to Lacey's mouth.

She leaned in and -

A whirring sound filled the still coffee shop and the two jerked away from each other.

Lacey swore under her breath as she jumped up, following the sound to one of the brewing machine she found she'd left it on causing the boil alarm to go off.

-

Locking the shop door behind her Lacey turned to Marie. It was a few minutes before ten and the sun had left the sky completely. As Lacey looked down the street she noticed a few figures, too far away to make out. Shivering she scurried to take her place next to Marie.

They walked the first block in silence before the woman in the red jumper and even redder lips turned to Lacey.

"You got a copy of your resume?"

Lacey paused mid step. "Why do you need my resume?"

"Well," Marie shrugged nonchalantly as she continued her pace. "Usually employers like to look over that sort of thing."

"Employers?" Lacey's eyebrows shot up at the word.

"Potential."

Marie explained in few words how she'd reached out to a friend inquiring of an open editor position. Lacey had an interview the next day at 1pm.

The odds Lacey murmured to herself.

"See I did the harassment for you." Marie grinned as they reached a divide in the street.

The brunette turned to the left to cross as Lacey hung right. Noticing their parting ways the two stopped. "Did you want some company walking home?" Lacey asked hopefully.

In part because quite honestly she didn't want Marie to leave her side, she'd enjoyed her presence and yes, protection. But as Lacey looked down the street that resembled an underground tunnel with a lack of street lamps, she knew she was the one who needed company walking home.

"It's not raining." Marie replied simply with a wink.

The crosswalk sign changed and she marched into the night. "Don't be late." She called after her leaving Lacey alone in the dark. 

Vote & Comment if ya like !