Chapter 9

If you enjoy this story  – please click that star and make me smile with your vote! It doesn't take long and it means a lot to me!

This chapter is dedicated to @AAgirlride for her super encouraging comments! She's also an amazing   writer  – her stories brim with emotion! Give her a try!

"Of course." Guido's eyes twinkled mischievously. "That's why I made sure you thought I was the murderer and chased me here."

"Why?" Giacinto frowned.

"To keep us alive," Alessandro said, "This reaper must have known we were investigating. If we had come too close to finding out about him, he would have killed us."

"Obviously," Giacinto rolled his eyes, "Dead men tell no tales. Just slit their throat and it's all like 'so sorry, can't hear you over the sound of you choking on your own blood'", he laughed.

"That's ... really not very funny," Alessandro frowned.

"To you," said Giacinto.

"To everyone."

"First of all, how would you know that, second of all, you're just envying my humor. Because you don't have any." Giacinto jabbed his finger at Alessandro.

"Your humor is inappropriate."

"You're inappropriate."

"How am I inappropriate?"This tiny, provocative, little Greek was really irking him. Like a mosquito in his room when he wanted to sleep, making a high buzzing noise right next to his ear. And when he would wave it away, it'd be silent for one second of hope only to return the next.

"I don't know, but," Giacinto grimaced, "you totally are. on top of not being funny. Man, your future looks dim ..."

Alessandro opened his mouth, only to be cut of by Guido.

"Guys? Maybe you can move the bickering to some time better than this? There are lives at stake," Guido said.

"There are always lives at stake," Giacinto shrugged.

Alessandro suppressed the urge to drag him out of the room. "You are right, it won't happen again," he paused, scratching the back of his neck, "Where were we?"

"You were explaining why I led you here. Which I will do instead, because the moment you say something Giacinto will start an argument." Guido sighed. "Why do I feel so old, I'm like half your age. Anyways, Alessandro is right. Now the reaper will believe you are on the wrong track and hopefully not kill you."

"Hopefully?" asked Giacinto.

Guido shrugged. "Probably. To raise the chances of you getting out alive--"

"-- I would appreciate that," Giacinto cut in.

"-- Alessandro will arrest me for the murders of both Alvino and Iacobo. I won't live to be executed anyways." He shrugged, but Alessandro noticed the unsure  flicker in his eyes.