12. I Spy

Luca threw his glass at the wall, shattering it instantly, in frustration. The crystal shards rained down, covering the floorboards in a sharp work of art.

It had been three days since his deal with the Don. Three days that Cee had suffered. Three days, and he was no closer to finding the spy than he was to learning how to fly.

"Well, that's not going to help, is it, sir?" Luca's lips twitched, but he didn't smile. Flo, the girl Cee cared so much for, was refusing to leave his office.

"Aren't you supposed to respect me?" Luca mumbled grumpily, too worried to care. The girl was nice. Loyal. He respected that.

"Maybe if you stopped throwing temper tantrums, I would." Flo was curled on his sofa, reading through several files; employment details, character profiles and so on. She hadn't looked at Luca for hours, focusing solely on her work.

"We need to narrow this down." Luca spoke without thinking. Flo nodded, her eyes on the files.

"I agree." She flipped a page. "All due respect, sir, I think we're looking at it from the wrong angle."

Luca looked up, frowning. They had been going through every individual hired in the last six months; before the information began to leak.

"What would you suggest?" Luca found himself asking, despite the girl having no experience, no authority and no respect for him. She was pretty - sure - a cute little blonde with a sassy mouth. He liked her.

"Motive," she answered simply. "Someone who definitely would have a reason to hurt our family and wouldn't mind hurting the Fieros in the process. Someone who could have been bought by the Caitos, or any of their friends."

"Someone linked to the D'Angelos, perhaps," Luca suggested absently, flicking through the files.

"The D'Angelos were only a recent development, sir. The explosion- "

"How do you know about that?" Luca snapped without thinking, his shoulders tense.

"My brother was in it," Flo replied dryly. Luca shook off his suspicion. "It's more likely that the explosion and this case were linked."

"You think the same person did this?" Flo shrugged.

"That's my logical answer, yes."

Luca surveyed her for a second, taking in her serious face, her blonde hair, the way her fingernails tapped on the top of the file nervously.

"Alright," he said, surprising himself. "Let's go with this."

An hour later, Flo and Luca had tracked down every file related to the explosion that had happened months previously.

"Who was involved?" Luca asked, pacing back and forth in front of the window. Flo listed off the names quickly: Dean, Miguel, Francesco, Anton, Stefano, Paulo, Mark.

"Three survivors," he stated. Flo nodded, but began to flip through logs.

"I think- " Flo cut herself off, drawing out a document. She scanned it, her eyes widening. "I don't think Anton wasn't supposed to be there."