Chapter 15: Death by Dramatic Irony

I was WAY too excited to wait another day to post this one...lol.

Please vote & comment if you can! Also re-vote on the previous chapter if your vote didn't count, like 200 votes were removed randomly by Wattpad because of a glitch. I was all like, hey, you stop that, Meanie. But Wattpad was like shut up and SMD.  ;((

Wattpad really didn't say that. :)

* * *

            "Have a seat, Miss Williams," David said, leading me into his dimly lit office. "You made the right choice, hearing me out. Had I reached one, and you didn't reply, I really would have made you beg. Bribery always works with me too. Especially if it's liquor, filthy romance novels, or candy. If you give me all three... I'll basically be your bitch."

            The gorgeous man watched me carefully, lips twitching up in a smile. I didn't move an inch or even come close to laughing.

            He sighed. "Are you going to sit, or just stand there and look fiercely at me?"

            "I'm not going to sit down." I stood in the middle of the room, crossing my arms over my chest, my back to him, smiling at nothing in particular. Was I crazy? No. Just sleep deprived and a very dramatic. "Neither of us needs to stand for what I'm about to say, Mr. Star." I pivoted around to face David and he was off course, directly behind me."Geez I swear, everyone pops out of freaking nowhere these days! Could you give me some room?!"

            Confused, David took a step back.

             “A little bit further please."

            He moved another step back.

            "That's good. I have a theory," I began, swallowing a lump in my throat. "I don't know how, and I don't know why, but I think you're Death. And the only reason I agreed to come in here and hear you out, is to tell you that."

            "Alrighty, so I am Death, hidden in the most obvious disguise known to mankind." David put his hands up mockingly. "Except for the fact that I have skin... and the last time I checked, I also don't walk around moaning like the walking dead, carrying a  pitch fork."

            "It's a scythe, he doesn't walk around moaning--well...never mind, and he does smell nice--" I stopped, shaking  a finger at him. "Oh no, no, no. I see what you're doing here. Trying to trick me into complimenting you. That's what you love, don't you, Death? Deathy Boy? Skeleton Man? Getting compliments? You arrogant little--"

            "I know that he has a scythe and skin, I was kidding. Why are you in such a nasty mood?"

            "I could ask you the same thing," I countered. "Tell me, has anything up to this point been the truth?"

            David opened his mouth to say something, then shut it.

            We challenged each other in an angry staring contest.

            He won.

            "Yes, I have lied to you. I lied to protect you. I know that line has been used a lot, but in this instance, believe me, you were better off not knowing what I am. It's too late to go back now. I see it's going to be impossible to convince you I'm not Death, when you're already set on the fact that I am. So I know I have to prove it you." David ran a hand down his face. "You're intuition... it's dead wrong, sweetie."