Playing Possum

Paviraa rushed towards her but her body's glow began to flicker and mid-stride the radiance vanished

Paviraa rushed towards her but her body's glow began to flicker and mid-stride the radiance vanished. She stumbled and fell as she was not strong enough to maintain such high levels of energy for so long. Nyx meanwhile wore the glass around her neck and she began to transform. The earth around her began to rumble and pitch black dust arose from it wrapping her with a black glossy garb. She raised her hands in the air and her riding crop flew into her palm. Purple lightening began to strike randomly and one such bolt struck dangerously close to where Paviraa had fallen. Omar and I dragged Paviraa away from Nyx and all this madness. The rumbling stopped and Nyx pointed her riding crop at us. Nothing happened.

Paviraa began to cough loudly. Mary stood behind her with her arm wrapped around Paviraa's neck in a choke hold. She struggled to break free. Mary looked at us with a smile. We tried to close-in to stop her but she choked Paviraa harder when we tried to move closer.

Mary said, "Be a dear and hand over your cores to lady Nyx, or else this bitch dies."

Omar said, "Mary, stop, please don't do this."

Paviraa struggled to break free but to no avail.

"Come on, it's all over now. Hand over your cores to lady Nyx so that she can grow stronger. If you sacrifice your lives she might let me and Paviraa live," Mary replied with a fiendish expression about her face.

Omar had tears in his eyes. He knew not what had to be done, but still tried to reason.

"Mary, what has happened to you? Please let her go. Don't do this please," Omar said.

Paviraa was getting short of breath. Her face began to turn blue she would faint within a minute if nothing was done.

I said, "Omar that is not Mary. Nyx can control the dead. Paviraa you know what to do,"

Paviraa looked at me with a tear rolling down her cheeks.

"You won't hurt your poor little friend, will you? How cruel," Mary spoke.

Paviraa closed her eyes and muttered under her breath. Mary's eyes widened. She released the hand that choked Paviraa and looked at her hands get burnt into ashes. Paviraa looked at her friend one last time as she coughed and tried to breathe again.

"Why you little, how could you hurt your own friend? You are such a--" Mary uttered her last words as she turned into a pile of ashes.

We all turned towards Nyx. She stood at a distance watching this entire event unfold. With a devilish smile she glared at us. None of us had any reserves of energy to fight, evade or even conjure much from our cores. I had just one last card up my sleeve. Krodhaksh.

It is time. I don't have enough energy to enable a fair fight between you and her. But I can give you a small chance.

I thought, "What do you mean?"