Chapter Thirty-Nine

The next day was a whirlwind for Crissa, getting up early to register for classes and sign up for an academic advisor. Trisha was even more serious about things, rising earlier to take a morning jog. Meeting later in the food commons around noon, the two had a chance to further connect and share their activities.

"Your guy seems really cool," Trisha finally said, while picking through her salad.

"Yeah, he's a very good guy," Crissa answered, a bit reluctant to share any more information about him.

"He's your first real lover, isn't he?"

"What? Why do you say that?"

"I can just tell. The way you two are. It's cute."

"No. Really, Trish. What makes you say that?"

"Well . . . he is, isn't he?"

"OK. My first serious relationship, yeah. But we've been through a lot, already. You can't believe. No one really would. We've just become really close from it."

"In Germany?"

"Yeah. So . . . tell me a bit about . . ."

"Robby? Yeah. It was a high school romance from the beginning on steroids. He's still my boy."

They both smiled.

"He wasn't my first though. I had two serious boyfriends before him. God. Back when I just started high school."

"Really?"

"Oh yeah. When you're a cheerleader in the States . . .any state . . . you get a lot of attention."

"I can imagine."

"Dean was my first. He was the captain of the football team. A total animal. And totally about sex. He was a senior and I was just a freshman. A poor little virginal freshman. But that all changed pretty fast. It was good though, I guess. While it lasted. He taught me a lot about guys. But after that year, I totally changed. Fell in love with this quiet, sort of . . . I don't know, poetic guy. You could call him a nerd, I guess. But he was so sweet and smart. Kevin kept my head on straight during that next year. Got me serious about my studies. My parents couldn't believe the change. Thought I found religion or something."

She laughed.

"Next, Robby comes along that summer of my sophomore year. A college guy to die for. We've been together ever since. But now comes the long-distance part. It's going to be tough, Crissa."

"Yeah, I can see how it will for you."

"I don't even know how it will. We've never been apart. In like two and a half years! Trust me, girl. You are so lucky. David probably lives close enough that you can sleep with him half the time."

It was a thought which Crissa had obviously considered but didn't feel comfortable discussing. There were also other elements which always took precedence when David came to mind. Things she would never discuss with anyone.

"So, wow," Crissa interjected to change the subject. "I guess you'll be taking mostly bio and chem classes here, huh? Once you've finish the required courses. A pre-med program, right?"

"Definitely. That's the plan. Mostly my parent's plan. But OK, yeah."

"And you? Pre-med too, right?

"Just biology for now. I'll have to see where it leads. Research maybe? Genetics? Possibly medicine. Too early to tell, yet. My parents are cool with my choices, thank goodness."