2: Have you seen my frisbee?

"Okay, how do I look?" I ask Kat as she does her makeup in my over-the-door mirror.

"Hot!" she encourages me and I analyze my outfit. Dominic picked it out for the most part but I refused to try it on for him so we weren't sure how it'd actually look on me. The white flowing, tank top hangs off my chest loose enough so that I feel comfortable but also cute and the ripped skinny jeans hug my legs nicely. Dominic advised me not to wear my best shoes so I took out my old, beat up white converse from high school. I tie my hair back in a half-up-half-down look and put on a pair of earrings.

When Kat finishes getting ready, she herds me to the parking lot where her car is. We get into the older buggie and head towards the off campus apartment. When we arrive, I'm satisfied. It's not nearly as busy as Dominic said it would be. There are only five cars in the front yard and two in the driveway. Making it now eight cars, we pick a spot in the front of the house and she leads the way inside. As we're walking up the steps, I check my phone and find a message from Dominic.

Dominic: Are you there yet?

Me: Yes.

Dominic: How do you look? Did you take a picture?

Me: No, but Kat said I look hot.

Dominic: I believe her. Boys will try to talk to you. Flirt back if you want. But don't do anything you don't want to do. Text me if you want me to pick you up at any time.

Me: Thank you, will do.

Dominic: Have fun. Be safe. Don't be like me. Unless you want to. Use condoms. Text me if anything happens. Love you.

Me: Shut up.

We're just friends. He's saying that he loves me as a friend. That's it. That's all. Just friends. Besides, he's out here telling me to sleep with guys. That's obviously a sign of friendship. I shove my phone in my pocket and make it a goal of mine to forget about his words. Kat begins introducing me to her friends, who introduce me to their friends, and so on. Eventually, I've met everyone in the apartment so Kat takes me to the kitchen to get a drink. "See anyone cute?" she wonders with a mischievous smile and I shrug weakly. She probably wants to toss me onto someone else so she can reconnect with her friends guilt free.

"I mean, I guess that boy- what's his name? Jason?" I nod in his direction. Kat glances over and offers up an amused chuckle.

"Jaden. It's funny; he has a twin brother named Jason," Kat explains. "Want me to hook you guys up?"

I think about Dominic's advice. It doesn't hurt to try, I guess. Besides, I don't want to make her feel like she has to babysit me. "Okay."

"Alright, I'll be right back," she says with a smile as she goes to talk to Jaden and his friend. I suddenly feel nervous. What if he says no because I'm ugly? I look up to see if it's too late to call Kat off. It is. She's laughing and talking to him. I squint and try to watch his reaction; he isn't vomiting in disgust so that's a good sign. I continue to stare and rather abruptly, she turns around and points at me. My eyes widen and I immediately spin around towards the fridge and let out a weak yelp as I do. Wow, how embarrassing.

"Hey," a deep voice says behind me. I peek over my shoulder and find Jaden, the boy I called cute, standing a few feet away. He's leaning casually against the counter with a red solo cup in his hand and a friendly smile on his lips.

"Hi," I say quietly. I run my hand through my thick, curly hair in an attempt to smooth it down but it probably only frizzes it up more.

"Nova, right?" he prompts a conversation. A boyish grin spreads across his face and I admire the way his dark skin is complemented by the red sweater hanging off his broad shoulders.