Chapter Two - No Choice

"Would you give her some room!" 

My eyes snapped open at the sound of Vega's voice. 

She was standing over me with her hands on my shoulders. I grabbed her arms and stared at her wide-eyed. 

"What happened?" 

She rolled her eyes. "You locked your knees, I guess. I thought homeboy over here was going to shit himself." 

I looked over in the direction she nodded and saw the blue-eyed Alpha standing beside her, staring at me intently, concern etched on his face. 

"Oh my God, how long was I out?" I whispered.

"There's no need to be dramatic, only a minute or two," she answered.

My gaze returned to Vega and I squeezed her arms as I sat up. "Dude, I think he's-"

"-your mate?" She finished. "I guessed that with the way he just acted. Are you okay?" 

"I'm fine," I assured her.

She made a face. "You don't look fine."

"I am," I assured her as she helped pull me to my feet. Immediately, the Alpha offered a strong arm behind my back to steady me on my feet. 

"Are you alright?" He asked, a strong English accent complemented his deep voice.

I nodded, but kept my eyes on Vega. I couldn't look at him. 

She gave me a small smile and slowly peeled my arms away from her. "Talk to him," she mouthed. 

Before I could muster a syllable, I heard my father's voice butt in. 

"What is going on here?! Get your hands off my daughter immediately!" He demanded. "Who do you think you are?!"

I turned to look at him, but the Alpha's arm only tightened around me as my father made advances toward us. 

"He's my dad, it's fine. Would you let go of me, please?" I asked, tugging at his arm. 

The Alpha hesitated for a moment before loosening his hold on me enough for me to step away from him. 

"Don't touch her again," my dad snapped, yanking me back by my arm. 

"Woah," Mr. Chandler said, waving his hands and stepping between us. "Scott, let go of Evelyn and let's talk this out." 

My dad glared at Mr. Chandler as he referred to him by his first name. 

The group went silent. All of us just stood there, staring at each other. 

I, in particular, could not stop staring at the Alpha. God, he was gorgeous. His dark, thick hair was perfectly messy and his electric blue eyes felt like they were looking straight through me. He had the most carnal facial features of anyone I had ever met, sharp and concentrated. He was also older than I was. Nearly thirty, I figured. 

He caught my gaze and I looked away immediately.

My attention refocused on the one standing behind him, the blond one I had noticed earlier. He was almost as tall as the Alpha and he too carried a vaguely threatening expression. 

I blinked a few times before throwing my hands up in exasperation. I had no idea what to do. I didn't even believe mates were still a thing, much less know how to react to getting one. 

But I knew. I knew beyond a shadow of doubt that he was my mate. I just... felt it. I couldn't yet determine, however, whether it was a good feeling or a dooming one.