42

"You need to get to know your captain and ace better. You're their coach," Ukai smirks as he tells me why I am being dragged into this 'exercise'.

"You're a coach too-" he walks off a little too happily. Thinking about it, I guess it will have it's benefits. The three of us have different personalities that even a stranger can see. Asahi is the kind, glass heart ball of nerve. Daichi is the dependable, charismatic cornerstone. Me? Well I guess I'd consider myself the forgetful scientist whom you can't stay mad at for very long. Even though we are different, I don't see any potential conflict among the three of us.

"The objective is simple, capture your assigned colored flag and be back in this gym by noon. You may designate one person to carry a small bag of supplies of your choice. You can only take as much as you can fit in the bag," Ukai explains the rules to the entire gym. Meanwhile, the two managers go around handing bags to each team.

"Chihiro I think you should carry the supplies. You'll know how to use them. What about you Daichi?" the ace asks, shifting his eight onto one foot.

"I think it's a good idea," he turns to me. "You're pretty smart and reliable," he crosses his arms with his resting smile. I raise an eyebrow. Reliable?

"I'd personally pick Daichi because he's- uh... you know. The captain," I scratch my cheek.

"I appreciate it. But I'd like to take a backseat and let our coach lead us," he shoots back with a shrug. I look up at the two of them and exhale.

"I guess so," I take the nylon drawstring bag from the Jozenji manager.

"The color of the bandanna in your bag is the color of the flag you will hunt for. You and your team may now pick from our selection of supplies," Ukai's voice rings out over our thoughts. I glance back at the two and lead us to the supply pile.

"Are you sure this is okay?" someone asks aloud. I look at pile and see utility knives. 

"You are going into the nearby woods," Ukai answers back. I quickly swipe up one of the switch blades and plop it into the bag.

I pick up a rope and look over to the third years. They pick up supplies that they find necessary. I grab the orange bandanna out of the bag and watch as Daichi drops in two water bottles. Asahi brings a roll of bandages and sterile gauze. I snag a Swiss army knife and Daichi places a compass on top.

I pull the drawstring bag close. We had just enough room for everything. I stifle a yawn as we approach the starting point the coaches set up. I look around at the other teams as see them wearing their bandanna proudly.

I didn't have time to grab a headband so I tie the carrot colored bandanna on top of my head. "Ready?" The players get ready to dash into the woods."Go!" 

Everyone takes off into the wooded area. I planned on conserving what little energy I had and not run, but Asahi and Daichi launch ahead to the forest so I have no choice. I hustle down the grassy knoll and to the edge of the trees. "Daichi! Asahi!" I call out.

They walk over to me as I dig the switch blade out of the bag. "Daichi, you are in charge of this. You need to mark every landmark we pass so we don't end up going in circles. Now let's go," I hand him the silver pocket knife and trot into the woods.

I could hear other teams rustling through the foliage and talking. Leaves crunch beneath our feet and sunlight peeks through the trees. There isn't much of a path anywhere so we have to improvise.

"I'm almost positive our target will be much deeper into the woods. Ukai-san would not make this easy for us," I pause my quick pace.

"That sounds about right," Daichi nods, taking in his surroundings. "I think this is a good place to start combing through," I nod and begin to scout the area.