XIV

EDITOR WARNING: THIS CHAPTER HAS NOT BEEN EDITED SINCE FIRST DRAFT (2017). MAJOR PLOTHOLES OR INCONSISTENCIES

The back door of Adrienne's house opened with a loud creak. Adrienne cautiously stepped into her house, the angel's cloak still draped around her thin shoulders. She quietly tip-toed up the grand wooden staircase to her room.

Sighing, she sat down on her bed and began to peel off her clothing to change into her nightgown. Unfastening the beautiful cloak the angel had given her, she began to peel of her now filthy shoes.

"OH NO!" Adrienne thought, looking down at her dress and stockings. They were muddy and torn. "Mother is going to kill me" she thought worryingly.

She continued taking off the rest of her ruined clothing, quickly putting it away in her bureau.  Slipping on her thick cotton nightgown, she grabbed the black cloak and slipped into her bed. Adrienne ran her thin hand over the cloak. The beautiful red satin combined with the luxurious black velvet made the cloak warm and regal.

Turning over, she clutched the cloak close to her, bringing her a sense of comfort. She let sleep take her away, to her angel.

~

Erebus sat up in his bed, his mind still thinking of the little girl. "Who would let a child wander into the woods" he thought. For some odd reason, the child reminded him of himself.

Sighing, he clambered out of bed, his feet touching the cold floor of his chambers. Erebus began making his way down the silent darkened hallways to the royal kitchen. "Maybe a drink will help ease this" he thought to himself.

Retrieving a special bottle of the deep, thick red liquid, he smiled to himself. Tilting the head of the bottle into his mouth, he began drinking the liquid by the mouthful.

"Strange to see you drinking at such an hour" a deep voice echoed behind him."Great minds think alike Aspen" Erebus answered, recognizing the voice. Putting the bottle down on a nearby counter, Erebus turned around to face his advisor.

"What keeps you up, my King?" Aspen asked, confusion clear in his piercing green eyes. "Save the formalities Aspen, you know how ridiculous I find them," Erebus answered lightly. "There's nothing in particular keeping me up, I'm merely thinking".

Aspen nodded while laughing. "You never were one to like pleasantries and such Erebus. Also, would you mind pouring me a glass of Sanguis?" Aspen asked.

Erebus nodded, retrieving another bottle of the same liquid and pouring the thick contents into a glass. After handing the glass to Aspen, Erebus took another sip of the mixture and set the bottle down again. Giving Aspen a simple nod, Erebus left the room promptly, walking up to his dark chamber.

THE NEXT MORNING

"WAKE UP ADRIENNE!" A screechy voice sounded through the room as drapes were yanked open, sunlight streaming into the room.

I opened my eyes quickly only to shut them again in seconds, blinded by the scorching hot rays of sunlight.

"HURRY UP!" Marie yelled anxiously, "Father has a surprise for us!" Sighing, I dragged myself out of bed. Elizabeth and Marie dashed out of my room, as I followed reluctantly behind them.

My sister's pushed past one of our maids, and she fell on their desperate rush to the dining room. "Are you okay Meg?" I asked, helping her up. "I'm fine, thank you Adrienne" Meg responded, before bowing and exiting.

I walking into the dining room, I noticed my sisters and parents were already seated. "Late again, Adrienne" my mother clucked, annoyed. "Proper etiquette and dress is important Adrienne. Yet you show up to brunch looking like one of those dirty homeless folk" My father chimed in, condescendingly.