THIRTY-ONE // Piper

A/N: First update of 2018! And in the nature of this update, I suppose now is as good a time as any to let you guys know that this story is nearing its end. It will definitely be finished within this year. I hope to have it done by May, but lord knows how busy exam season can get and I'm also starting to have to deal with a lot of adult-y stuff (yay for turning 17 and starting college early!!!!) this year, so we'll see. But it will be finished in 2018.
On the other hand, this story will not end the way you are expecting/are used to. I am not giving anything away, but there is your warning. Happy 2018.

HOW ARGUMENTS ARE POINTLESS AND STUPID AND HAPPEN AT THE WORST OF TIMES

The next day I stick to my word and make Taylor come over with details. We get sidetracked for the first hour that she's here, looking at random cookie recipes since we were too busy to make any before Christmas came.

"Ooh, these are like gooey cream cheese cookies."

"What?" She peaks my interest with those.

"Yeah." She turns her phone around so I can see the picture of the cookies. They look like round drops of dough baked and then rolled in powdered sugar.

"Those look good as hell," I comment, grabbing her phone to scroll through the ingredients. "And we have everything."

Taylor's eyes widen. "We do."

I nod, handing her phone back to her. "I'm pretty sure."

We crawl off my bed and head down the hallway toward the kitchen. Mom is sitting at the dining room table, her laptop open and paperwork spread out around her.

"Work?" I question, opening the fridge to look for a block of cream cheese.

"Yeah," Mom replies. "What're you lookin' for?"

"Cream cheese." I pout, closing the fridge after I didn't find any. "Outside maybe?"

Mom nods. "Maybe."

"I'll go look," Taylor offers, already opening the door. "I need a Coke anyway."

I chuckle in response, going to the cabinet to look for the rest of the ingredients. I have them set out when Taylor comes back inside with cream cheese and a bottle of Coke.

"You guys making cookies?" Mom asks, sitting back from her work for a moment.

Taylor nods. "I saw a recipe for cream cheese gooey cookies we wanna try."

"They look really good," I add with a breathy laugh, leaning back against the counter. My phone buzzes in my back pocket, once then twice. I check it in confusion, wondering who in the world it could be considering one of the only other person I text daily is standing in the kitchen next to me.

>Mic: Hey honey

>Mic: Would it be annoying to ask if I could come over?

I smile softly reading the messages.

>Hey baby

Goodness me, that's weird.

>Not annoying, but Tay is over today. Maybe tomorrow?

"Who's that?" Mom asks.

I glance up from my phone, the small smile still tugging at my lips. "Micah. He wants to come over."