━ 𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝘃𝗶

█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█chapter six: a terrible shot █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█

█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
chapter six: a terrible shot
█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█

     "WOW," KALI OBSERVES from Indira's side as she misses the target with her blaster once more

"WOW," KALI OBSERVES from Indira's side as she misses the target with her blaster once more. The two girls squint at the circular target from a distance. Scorch marks litter the surface, but not a single one has struck anywhere remotely close to the center. "You really are terrible at this. Seriously, Indi, your aim is about as good as a stormtrooper's."

Indira lowers her blaster and gives her friend a scathing look. "Your support is overwhelming, Kali," she replies. "Truly, I don't know what I'd do without you."

Kali smirks. "That's what I'm here for."

It is her fourth day of training and Indira Beren is starting to think that she is something of a hopeless case. Her hand-to-hand combat skills are pitiful, her shooting is atrocious — part of her wonders if General Organa was mistaken in saying that her mother had been some sort of hotshot-gun-toting assassin, because whatever gunslinging genes her mother had seem to have skipped over Indira entirely — unless her father had been the terrible shot as well.

"Indi, you just need to relax," Kali says firmly. "The more worked up you get, the worse your aim will be. Now, just," she pauses to demonstrate inhaling deeply before exhaling, "breathe like this."

Indira mimics Kali's breathing pattern, slowly inhaling and exhaling until she feels a little less on edge.

"Now," Kali continues, "you have to find your center."

She frowns. "Find my what?"

"Your center," Kali repeats. "Your spirit. You need to find something to ground yourself to; something to keep yourself tethered. Become present in your surroundings and observe them."

Indira looks at her dubiously, but does her best to follow her instructions. "Okay," she mutters, squinting slightly as she tries to think of something to tether herself to.