Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen

Charlotte was a mess as she blamed herself for Jonathan's physical state. Thankfully a doctor had quickly arrived on call. His wounds were wrapped completely but he was subjected to bed rest for the next couple weeks. He'd be bound there, immobile all because she had disobeyed him.

"I'm sure the boy told you that you shouldn't meet his mother," Cornelius said as he stared at his sleeping grandsons form.

"Yes, it's all my fault," Charlotte whispered as tears could no longer fall from her lashes. She had bawled her eyes out and at this point, they were very swollen.

"Well he probably also didn't tell you why you shouldn't have met his mother..." Cornelius murmured.

"It's still my fault, I was stupid. I am stupid." She hiccuped.

"Don't press it against yourself dear, he should've explained his reasons. I'd be curious too if I were you," the old man said with a small smile. "You see, Jonathan's mother is in a certain mental state that deems her unsuited for the public... it's really my son's fault for this mess." He shook his head exasperated.

Charlotte took her eyes briefly off of Jonathan as she glanced at Cornelius, waiting for him to continue on.

"She see's delusions now. Especially when it comes to young women as well as Jonathan even. He looks strikingly like his father and perhaps that's where the pain intensifies. My son, a bastard idiot had taken off for another woman - your age actually. He was cruel to leave his newborn son and wife for a wench but he did it anyways. He never cared for a title, only for himself. Jane never recovered from it. She neglected Jonathan as she pined in her room for my son's return. But he never did, he started a new life for himself in damn America with his mistress, excuse the language dear." Cornelius paused. "I haven't seen Jonathan so happy in ages, not until he placed his pursuits on you. You see, even though he looks built and tough, the boy is quite sensitive - lonely even. I did my best as a grandfather but he never quite got the maternal love he needed. I didn't blame him for behaving brashly. All I could do was hope that he'd come to his sense and settle down. He is there in those regards. He loves ardently like his mother but will never be like his father and abandon his duties." Cornelius paused before his eyes met Charlottes. "I've never seen him smile so widely, not until he brought you here Miss Charlotte. He's very fond of you and I'd like to think that his intentions were pure. You'd make a fitting wife for Jonathan." The old man managed to crack a feeble smile. "He loves with all his heart, this foolish boy and in those regards, he's quite like his mother."

Charlotte could only swallow as she ingested everything the old man had to say. He excused himself from the room leaving her to sit besides him and watch him. Her fingers looped the strands of his hair, carefully and gently stroking his skin as he slept on. He had taken the consequences for her actions without a single hesitation. He protected her and he really did love her. And it was too far fetched of a lie to say that her own heart didn't beat for him.

She was quiet, refusing to leave his side as she made sure he was left in peace for his recovery. The man barely opened his eyes, only parting his lips to sip some of the soup that was made for him. Charlotte barely caught up any sleep for the next couple of days. She stood her ground and took charge of everything. She didn't worry about her own well being, rather, her concern was only Jonathan.

Jonathan had been fading in and out of consciousness, his vision blurry as he had only seen wisps of blonde. He could guess it was Charlotte but he had no idea how long she accompanied him. And he was too weak to muster any strength in his body to force him to get up. It wasn't until days later in the middle of the night did he fully regain his sense did he stir awake. He was surprised to see her sleeping form next to his bed, a wet towel in hand as she rested her other arm on the bed. From the bags underneath her shut lids, he could assess that she had tired herself out from taking care of him.

"You're awake?" Her voice called as she stirred from her slumber.

"Yes, I'm fine. You should return to your chamber and get some rest." He said each syllable forced out of his mouth as his chest still felt sore from where he had been hurt, his spine felt like a thousand needles pricked beneath his skin.

"No, I'll stay by your side and fetch whatever you need. Would you like water? Perhaps I could ring for some tea, would that make you feel better? I can ask for the doctor if the pain is worsen-"

"Charlotte," Jonathan interrupted. His hand had wrapped around hers. "Please don't be so anxious. I'm fine."

"Are you truly?" She uttered the words shakily as she glanced at him. The glassy greens of her eyes looked like they were welled up with tears, ready to burst any second.

"Don't cry."

"It's all my fault! If I hadn't been curious about your mother you wouldn't be in this state. You wouldn't have hurt yourself on my beh-"

"Charlotte," Jonathan murmured as his fingers entwined with hers. "It's not your fault."

"Because of me you're bedridden for a month," she spoke hoarsely, droplets falling from her long eyelashes.

"You don't need to tend to me. I was hoping to show you around as much as possible but I know my company has only been slightly bearable. You are free to leave whenever you please Charlotte, I'm not going to stop you."

She looked at him with a sudden sharpness he hadn't seen before. "No."

"Ch-"

"No. I will not leave you here all alone, I refuse to let someone else aid you in your recovery. I'll be damned!"

Jonathan was taken aback by her forwardness as well as her resolution. Even though he was in pain, he was able to muster a grin on his face. "Are quite sure about your decision? You'll be ruined at this rate."

"I've been ruined the moment I saw you Jonathan," she said smiling the widest he had ever seen.

"But why stay here cooped up inside when you could be getting fresh air?" He murmured. "I thought I was an intolerable bastard who needed a whipping."

Charlotte snorted as she leaned toward him, inches away from his face. Her throat was knotted but she continued her advances. His hand loosened from her grip as his arms lifted up to connect to the sides of her face. Her lips moved against his, each movement slow and gentle, she could taste his tongue swirling around with hers. She kissed him with the most indecency possible, relishing in the taste of his existence. She was comforted by his touch, reminded of his ability to protect her from everything. They broke away for a moment, gasping for air. Her heart pounded against her chest like it was about to explode.

"I love you. I love you very much Jonathan Lennox, you stupidly charming man," she blushed.

Jonathan looked at her in awe, almost unable to believe the words she had dared utter on her tongue. "Truly? Are you quite sure ... I've been a bastard to you after all."

"A man who's willing to sacrifice himself for my sake is more than enough. I really do love you and I won't change my mind."

"As I do you."

A/N: Two more chapters and the story of Jonathan and Charlotte will come to an end! But fear not for I have started debating several options for William and I think it'll be entirely amusing to read (mainly because the man is just walking trouble.) Hope you guys enjoy, comment, vote (but really I love comments so please feel free to share your thoughts) and have an awesome day, evening, wherever you are in the world!