|| Chapter one - The New Kid ||

"Stop overreacting Aria. You've done this many times before. Nothing is rendering you incapable of doing it again." My mother grumbled . I felt like five year old Aria again, being shipped off to yet another school down to reasons out of her control.

"Mom, it's my senior year. Everyone will have their own little cliques and then there will be little Aria Davidson..." I flailed my arms for emphasis, "eating lunch in the fucking toilets!"

She shook her head, "Language Aria."

"Language my ass." I scoffed, grabbing my bag from the table and throwing it over my shoulder. One thing my mother never seemed to understand was that kids are shitheads. They have no respect for anyone, least of all the new girl who turned up halfway through senior year.

Fortunately for me, the walk to school wasn't too bad. I could make it in twenty minutes or so and hopefully just blend in with everyone else. Laying low was my method of defence, if you didn't make yourself vulnerable, nobody could attack. By vulnerable, I mean seen.

It certainly isn't my first rodeo. I've had a total of ten different schools in my eighteen years of life. Half of which were strongly religious and I just... wasn't. Puts a young girl in an awkward position when she can't recite bible stories.

None of these moves were my fault, aside from one... turns out "Jesus Christ" is sacrilegious and not highly respected among the sisters in the abbey school. A minor hiccup on my part however, the other nine moves were down to my mother and her ever changing career base.

I was one of those kids. No friends, a lot of underlying issues and a severe lack of personality due to a failure in development of social skills. Another fault of my mothers own, if my father had stuck around to see my tenth year then maybe it'd be a different story. Turns out, life will chew you up and shit you out as soon as it gets the chance.

Approaching the gates churned up that same terror it always did. I'm sorry but fully grown adult or no, this is always scary. I adjusted my bag on my shoulder and proceeded into the gates. There were hoards of people scattered everywhere, the buzz of conversation could deafen small ears. Unpleasant already.

I barged my way through the crowds of rambunctious teens and made my way towards the office. The school was rather large, very intimidating and did nothing to calm my nerves. This is by far the biggest school I have ever been to.

"Excuse me?"

"Ma'am?"

"I said excuse me!"

The person behind the desk was looking at me anxiously, as if she could be anymore concerned than I am right now. "Yes sorry, uh..." I paused to get myself together, "I-I'm the new student Aria Davidson, I was wondering if there was some sort of-"

"Timetable system?" I nodded, "Yes, there is. What was your name again?"

"Uh, Aria Davidson." The receptionist smiled and began typing at her computer. Meanwhile I was more curious about the girl virtually lying on my back.

Slowly, I turned my head looking her up and down. It took her a while to notice me, but when she did she was in a fluster, "Sorry, I'm always intrigued by new students. Aria is a really pretty name? Where'd you get it-" she slapped her forehead, "That was lame, anyways, I'm Jodi." She held out a hand decorated with dainty rings. I shook her hand and smiled when she giggled.

"I'm Aria... even though I gathered you knew that." Jodi nodded.

We stood there facing each other awkwardly for a while before Jodi continued the conversation, "I guess you don't have any friends. That's not an assumption by the way, I just presumed because you know, you're new and everything." She started rambling again, "Ahm, Just ignore me I'm a chatterbox anyway, you should sit with me and my friends at lunch today. They're really nice people and besides, you look like you could use a support system." I frowned but she didn't reply. Jodi simply turned on her heel and trotted off, "Bye!" She shouted before slipping out of the front doors and running to a group of kids.

The receptionist shook her head, "Excuse her, she's always nosing into other peoples business." She shrugged and handed me my timetable, "She's a right one, I tell you."

"She seems nice." I replied, scanning the piece of paper. I almost died inside when I saw Chemistry but nevertheless, I stayed strong.

"Looks can be deceiving sweetheart, you just remember that. Have a nice day." I smiled at her gratefully and decided to find my classroom early. My first period was English, so I didn't have to go very far. As I neared the classroom, I could hear raised voices.

"... I don't give a shit Monroe!"

"It's my business and my business only..."

"Next time you eavesdrop... never see daylight again."

I rolled my eyes and decided to steer clear of the classroom for a while. I sat on one of the unoccupied chairs by the class and waited for the people to leave. Hopefully in one piece.

The voices became clearer, I presumed someone was nearing the door, "Watch your back asshole." There was a pause, "actually, you and your pretty little girlfriend Jodi. Tell her to look out too, she may not be able to resist the sweet temptation..." the voice crooned. Clearly some kind of egotistical dickhead. Nothing new there.

Although, I was curious as to how Jodi got dragged into this. If I was going to be sitting with them at lunch, I'd best keep her on my good side all things considered so far today. There was the sound of footsteps and a young man stormed out the door, walking in the opposite direction. I watched him walk off, the tattoo on his neck was visible and honestly it was intriguing.

I would do my research into this mysterious stranger later, in the mean time I walked into the class. I was shocked to see a kid sitting at the table with his head in his hands. He jumped when I entered the room, glaring at me at first but soon his face softened.

"And you are?" He said hoarsely.

I smiled sheepishly, "I'm Aria, sorry if I startled you." I tried to amend it.

He waved a dismissive hand and went back to his original position, it was odd to say the least but I didn't comment. I presumed he was dating Jodi I knew and she hadn't done half bad. His blonde hair was nearly styled and he had sapphire like eyes, to pretty for my liking but he wasn't bad looking at all. My curiosity grew as to why they were arguing, the harsh threats that had been thrown his way were nothing sort of remarkable but it would take a lot to carry them out...

And threatening a girl. No morals there. I mean, if she deserved it, sure... but Jodi seemed so sweet.

This was definitely the most interesting day as the "new kid" I have ever experienced. And it wasn't very comforting.

// Chapter one ✔️ //

©️ // ®️

Nothing but trouble 🔗 : https://my.w.tt/UiNb/rNIQQPN9sJ

This is actually 1,220 words long but I always love it when the stories I read are fairly lengthy. You see, I'm hoping to incorporate some great detail and effort into this gem. I'd appreciate any feedback, bad or good.

Ps: My language so isn't this bad IRL it's just for the purpose of the story. Apologies if it offends anyone.

Pps: If people come at me about the "sacrilegious" comment I made, I will have you know that I myself am actually Christian and therefore I wouldn't intentionally do anything remotely insulting towards it purposefully.

Thank you.