chapter 12

We were all still awake when morning came, most of us congregating in the kitchen. Jessica was in the process of making coffee, dark circles prevalent under her eyes. Ben, who I had only met a few time, had his arms wrapped around her waist; his dark hair was ruffled from sleep and he was whispering in her ear, but it didn't seem like whatever he was saying was helping. Despite the fact that his words apparently weren't soothing her, she sunk into him, finding some comfort in his touch.

My heart panged and I made eye contact with Landon, who had obviously caught me watching his foster parents. He sent me a soft, sympathetic smile as if he understood my inner turmoil, but he didn't at all. He had known his entire life he was a werewolf, meanwhile, I was not only just learning about this world, but learning that I wasn't crazy. I was far from crazy, in fact, I was witch-demon hybrid.

I sunk low in my seat, the sweatshirt I had borrowed from Isaiah comforting and warm. Mik sat right beside me, his head leaning against my shoulder. He had fallen asleep about fifteen minutes earlier and I hadn't had the heart to ask him to move his head. I smiled softly at him and pressed a kiss to his head before leaning my head against his' and allowing my eyes to slide shut.

I had almost slipped off into sweet oblivion when the front door slammed open in a familiar fashion: Paisley and Morgan were here. I jerked my head up, startled to full attention. Mik was jumped, obviously having been woken up from the racket. He lost his balance from the way he had been sitting on his chair and nearly fell to the ground, but I caught his arm and let him lean against me. He sent me a shy but thankful smile, and despite the chaos in my head, I tapped his nose affectionately.

His beaming smile made me want to sit and talk with him, but I forced myself to my feet and towards the door. Morgan's face was bare of any and all makeup, and she was in pajama pants that were too big for her, evident by the way they were slipping down her hips. The moment her eyes landed on me, she pulled me into a big hug and began to apologize profusely in my ear. I hugged her back, but remained silent; the boys had informed me on the girls heritage.

They were both witches. I could see it in their personality, if I was being honest. They were charming and sweet, but also mischievous and always up for good fun.

Paisley knocked Morgan out of the way, yanking me into a hug as well. She looked more put together than her girlfriend, as if she had been up for hours, but I didn't comment on it. Rather, I revelled in her hug and the fact that even after being thrown into essentially a cluster fuck, I rely on my girls. I had never admitted to anyone, let alone myself, but they were my best friends.

"So this is Thisbe's daughter." The voice that spoke was smooth but confident, demanding attention and radiating power. I took a step away from Paisley, peeking over her shoulder.

Two women stood in front of the door, both giving off similar auras of power and authority. If I had any energy left in me, I might have been trembling where I stood. The taller of the two had golden blonde hair, falling around her pin straight, as if even it was afraid to defy her. Her eyes followed my every movement, but that wasn't what made her gaze so unsettling; it was the color of her eyes. They were a pale shade of green with a tint of yellow-gold, reminding me of the shade of a wild cat's eyes. Her stature was slim and she was tall, towering over even Morgan and I.

The other woman was slightly less intimidating, but still had me cowering behind Morgan and Paisley. Her dark waves were pulled back in a ponytail, strands falling around her pretty face. She had the same blue eyes as Morgan, though hers were significantly less friendly than Morgan's. She was curvier than the other woman, but no less beautiful with tan skin, bow lips drawn into a frown, and sharp cheekbones.

"Pais," I whispered, even though I was sure the women could hear me regardless. "Who are they?"

Paisley grimaced, eyes settling on the floor, making me wonder if she found the women as unsettling as I did. "Nyx, meet me and Morgan's mothers."