[49] Hospital

.

.

  Niall Horan

.

.

  "She told me last night that she's feeling better." I told the nurse. "Please, she'll be okay to leave today. Please, ma'am." I tried being as polite as I could with this woman, but all I wanted was to get Avery out of that hospital bed.

  "I'm sorry, sir." The rather large nurse said. "We need to keep her longer. Another day at the least."

  "But why?" I whined. "She's okay. She's okay, right? There isn't anything wrong with her?" I suddenly started to panic. What if this whole time they were looking into something that was wrong with her? My heart started to beat quicker and my breath became hitched in the back of my throat.

  "No, there hasn't been any complications." The nurse assured me. "We just need to keep her under this new pain medication." I frowned, why on Earth would they put her on new pain medication?

  "I don't understand." I admitted. "She told me she wasn't in as much pain last night-"

  "The things that patients tell me are confidential." The nurse sighed, rubbing her temples. "But since you're obviously so concerned, Ms. Holmes has personally told me that her pain is increasing, so we had to switch her dosage and we need to make sure that it agrees with her system."

  I stood there speechless. Why would she lie to me?

  "O-okay." I nodded, stuffing my hands in my pockets. "Thank you for tellin' me." 

  The nurse smiled and then turned around, going back into Avery's room. Ave was currently sleeping even though it was the middle of the day. The boys, Darcy, and Aimee were supposed to be meeting me at the cafeteria right now.

  Still wondering why Avery would lie to me, I walked over to the elevator and pressed the first floor button, where the cafeteria was. I made sure that I had some money in my wallet because I knew that Aimee would want to get a cinnamon roll (they were her favorite.)

  "Daddy!" I heard Aimee's voice as soon as the elevator doors opened. In the lobby stood the rest of our group greeting me with smiles. They'd all been acting nice towards me because they knew that I was going through a lot right now.

  "Hey, guys." I smiled. Aimee practically jumped into my arms and attacked me with hugs. Her hair was neatly done in two small pig tails, obviously done by Darcy, and she wore a plain purple shirt with jeans and pink flip flops.

  "You ready to grab a bite to eat?" Louis asked.

  "Yeah, did you guys bring cash? I only have fifteen." I glanced around.

  "I've got a hundred." Zayn smirked. "I'm the richest here." He joked. I laughed and we continued talking as we made our way down to the cafeteria, only to see that there were some girls who appeared to be fans sitting there.

  "How do they even get in?" Liam asked, scratching the back of his head. Some girls squealed and started to run up to us. As much as I loved the fans, all I really wanted was a cinnamon roll and some peace and quiet. I'd never ask them to leave, though, that'd be terribly rude.

  "Sign this?" A teenage girl with a piece of food in her braces begged. I smiled back at her and took the pen from her, writing my sloppy autograph on the paper. "Can you, too?" The girl pointed at Aimee, who blushed.

  "She, uh, can't exactly write yet, darlin'." I chuckled. Even though she couldn't write, Aimee took the sharpie and scribbled on the piece of paper. I saw some girls taking pictures and I laughed at Aimee, who began to blow kisses at some of the fans.