Chapter 5: I am no Sherlock

holidays equal more uploads.

Vote, Comment, Follow,

Enjoy,

Chloe x

Chapter 5

                Two days before my birthday.

                I woke up groggily. The flannel was still rested against my head and had long since gone dry. There was still a slight throbbing in my head but compared to yesterday it was substantially less. I couldn’t wait for this to end. I hated feeling ill and I certainly hated feeling this way. I crawled out of my bed and into the shower. I kept the water cold as I still felt that my skin was boiling but for some strange uncontrollable reason it almost felt normal yet I must have been running a fever.

                The cold water pouring down my body felt so soothing. It was an instant relief as I shuddered at the memory of the pain coursing through my body at that time. What the hell was that? What was wrong with me? That wasn’t normal, was it? A thought suddenly sprang to mind, my mum.

                She seemed to understand what was going on. She knew I was going to feel better this morning. How would she know that unless she knew what was going on? So many questions were crowding my head and I was getting far too few answers. I was feeling so out of my depth with everything which is what I hated. Nothing made me feel less safe and less secure than not having all of the information at hand. It made me feel weak and it made me feel vulnerable.  

                I eventually found the energy to leave the shower. As I wrapped the towel around me, I noticed the time 10:00. Guess I wasn’t going into school today. I dried and changed into some comfy clothing which consisted of some leggings and a Loki t-shirt. I put my hair into a French Plait down my back. I then decided to go downstairs. Once again it seemed to be quiet and empty.

                I entered the kitchen and saw the car keys still hung up. The realisation struck that my mum was still at home. Walking through the house, I already had an idea of where she could be. The closer I came to the study, the more nervous I got. Could she be talking to that stranger again?

                I stood outside the door to her study as my head began to lightly throb again. I rubbed my temple with my fingers to try and stem the pain. So far all I could hear was silence. There was not a sound. Nothing suggested to me that my mum was in that room.

                “Yes Matthew. I am positive,” I finally heard my mum speak.

                I knew it. She was talking to that stranger again. I couldn’t believe it. I listened more intently now. More clues. Just more pieces being added to this endless and impossible jigsaw puzzle.

                “She has a high temperature. She is shaking and she complained of her head throbbing. These are all signs. With her birthday this close and the amount of pain she was in, I can’t see any other possible solution. This has to be it,” My mum exclaimed.

                There was a short silence where this Matthew was clearly talking. I waited to hear whatever my mum’s response would be. The time seemed to pass slowly. I wanted answers. I felt the throbbing in my head grow again.

                “She has no idea. I haven’t told her. I won’t tell her until I have to. It is better that way…. No, I am not telling you exactly where we live. I am not permitted to tell you… I DON’T CARE if it has been nearly sixteen years, the orders remain the same. I am sorry but I am concerned about you… I understand but this is how it has to be. Bye Matthew, I must check on her,” My mum spoke, before I heard the bang as the phone was placed down.