Chapter Twenty Four

A/N: This chapter's for Diyaisha, who showed Rage so much love, even when it was only just starting out.

Four chapters plus an epilogue to go, guys, and I hope you're enjoying this.

I woke up giddy, expecting to see Julio beside me as soon as I opened my eyes. Unfortunately, I'd forgotten that he hadn't been able to come over the night before.

I got dressed for school, scrolling through and replying to the 'happy birthday' texts I'd gotten from old friends in SF. It was sad that, now, I barely spoke to people I used to spending everyday with.

Ally was going to pick me up for school, and she had a habit of coming early because she enjoyed homeroom for some reason, which meant that I had to be ready by 7:20.

"Ah, there you are." My mother said, in her usual clipped tone. It was a Wednesday, so why was she here? Was she here to ruin my birthday?

"Yes?" I asked, pointedly. 7:15- Ally would be here any minute.

"You're having a birthday party tonight at Jack's house. Tell whatever friends you've managed to make. It was Jack's idea. He's fond of you, for some reason, so don't you dare slip up and mess this up for me." She ordered, and didn't say another word. How did she know it was my birthday? It was probably Charlie who told Jack, and when Jack mentioned it to my mother, she would've pretended to know already.

I was touched that Jack wanted to throw me a party, but I didn't think it was really what I wanted. I'd just wanted a quiet day, with only Julio to keep me company.

Chase had called me at midnight, telling me that my present was in my closet, under the fancy clothes I rarely wore– it was a pair of rose gold earrings that had probably cost him a fortune–and Ally, Chris, Ryo and Romi had texted at around the same time. Julio hadn't said a word, and I just hoped he remembered. I mean, I wouldn't blame him if he'd forgotten, but it would be nice if he knew.

But, now, my birthday was already ruined and the day had just begun.

"Happy birthday!" Ally yelled, storming into the kitchen and hugging me. I hadn't even heard the doorbell ring, I'd been so absorbed in my own thoughts.

"Thank you!" I exclaimed, returning her hug.

"Happy birthday, Tay." Romi said, entering the kitchen after I'd gotten Ally off of me, much less enthusiastically and much more gently.

"Oh, hey, thank you!" I said, smiling widely. I couldn't hug her because Ally was holding on to my arm happily, chattering away.

"So, I'm so glad that you're having a party! It's going to be great." Ally said suddenly, and I looked at her, alarmed.

"How did you know I was going to have a party? My mom told me, like, two minutes ago."

"Please, this entire thing was practically my idea. When Charlie was feeling particularly guilty the day before yesterday, I told him I wished that there was a way to throw you a party, and he immediately agreed. I'm pretty sure he broached the subject with his dad the same day, because the next day he told me that Jack was throwing you a party."

This girl was a mastermind. However, when she said that Charlie was feeling 'particularly guilty' I just felt bad for her. Judging by Romi's expression, she did, too.

My day significantly brightened by these two amazing girls, I headed to school with a lighter spirit, after eating a muffin that Ally had got me from this adorable little bakery, apparently to tide me over till tonight, when I'd get my presents.