SIXTEEN

[ RESCUE ]

THE SOUND OF HER CELL DOOR OPENING STARTLED HER

in a way, she felt as though she was still trapped in her dream world, on the cliff with kylo ren. she could still see the way he had looked at her, she could feel his hand on her own. but she knew it wasn't real. she knew it wasn't him, that it was her own mind healing her, not his. but even still, the feelings remained, and she felt them so strongly that her concentration had lapsed. she hadn't noticed the presence of the people outside of her cell. not until she was looking at them.

an almost hysterical smile erupted on her face, and she threw herself into the embrace of the first man who walked through the door. one whose stubbornness she had missed, someone she was very glad to see.

"finn!"

she felt the ex-trooper's arms close around her, holding her tightly. she had almost killed him once, and they had bickered relentlessly, but halo had not realized until now that he had became one of her very best friends in a short amount of time. it was true, that one didn't know the value of something until it was gone.

"halo, oh man are we glad to see you."

he pulled away from the red-head, and han and chewie appeared behind him. chewie growled happily, but there was something strange in han's face. she knew how hard it must have been for him to come here. it only proved to her that which she already knew; han solo was a better man than many people gave him credit for.

finn's dark eyes looked behind her, and when met with only an empty cell, began to crease with worry.

"where's rey?"

"they took her yesterday, i haven't seen her since," halo replied, an edge to her voice that worried finn. "she's okay. trust me, i would know."

the vague explanation wasn't enough for finn, but he let it go. their time on this base was precious and he didn't want to waste it standing out in the open.

"let's find her, and get out of here."

halo nodded. she wanted that more than anything.

the four of them walked silently through the halls. it was easier for them to move now that they had halo, for she knew if someone was coming sooner than finn or han or chewie could even fathom. her connection with the force had never felt stronger. after the dream, it was like something in her had awoken, like all the conflict had dissipated.

she searched the entire base with her feelings, trying to find the familiar presence of her scavenger friend. she had caught it once or twice, but it had faded as soon as it came. she could only assume that it meant that rey was far away.

they continued to walk for what felt like hours, until the feeling of rey's presence hit her like a freight train. halo couldn't keep herself from rounding the corner without warning. all she could do was hug the startled scavenger like her life depended on it.