Chapter 6

A/N: Heads up for a bit of bad language in this chapter, nothing too strong. There's also a mention of self harm, not intended to offend anyone.
~{}~~{}~~{}~
Glaedir's POV
"One! Two! Three! Four! Five!" I shouted, venting my anger on the recruits. At each number, they assumed a different fighting stance, using those staffs as if they were actual weapons. Idiots. If I put a real sword in their hands they'd fall over backwards. I could feel the Sargent's and Lillieth's cold gazes burning into my back, calculating, deducing, trying to see if I was good enough.
"Again!" I commanded, earning groans from the recruits "Like you mean it, you useless laggards!"
I drilled them again, nit picking at every false move, every wrong footing. Insults were hissed at me but I paid them no heed. They would get it right, no matter how much they complained.
~{}~~{}~~{}~
"Right! That's enough of drills! Ten minutes then sparring practice!" The Sargent interrupted when it looked like the useless gaggle of morons finally got the drill right. I let him take over, walking away moodily and leaning against a barrack house. The other corporals, both Lorien and Rivendell, kept their distance, seeing the fury pent up behind my eyes. As I stood there, seething in my own rage, I heard a familiar voice laughing and talking. I turned my head, my heart aching when I saw him. He was walking beside a girl with identical dark hair and eyes, looking so relaxed and happy. I watched them as they approached the training grounds, watching the recruits with a mixture of curiosity and worry as the useless meatheads whacked each other with wooden staffs. Standing up straight, I went to go over to them, but a single, icy hand grabbed my wrist and pulled me back into the shadows.
"What do you want Lillieth?" I growled lowly. Her voice whispered close to my ear with as much warmth as a gust of winter wind.
"Flirt with the girl," she hissed. No. I couldn't. Not in front of Lindir.
"Do it. Or I tell the Sargent your little secret."
I yanked my wrist out of her grip, muttering curses under my breath. Lindir smiled when he saw me, my heart warming and breaking at the same time. I ignored him and turned to the girl.
"And who might you be, my lady?" I smirked, hoping it didn't seem as forced as it felt.
"Faeya, and yourself?" She asked. I had to admit, she was prettier than most she-elves, with a warm smile and a friendly face. I tried to ignore how alike she was to Lindir, though her eyes were a lot less sad.
"Enchanted, my lady. Corporal Glaedir Skylark at your service."
I bowed and kissed her hand, putting on a mask of pomp and circumstance to hide my heart falling apart piece by piece. Faeya blushed and laughed.
"These Lorien elves don't seem as bad as you say they are, brother," she said, looking to Lindir. I glanced to him, feeling a burning at the back of my throat when I saw the hurt look in his eyes and the protective glare he was trying to hide it with.
"Once you've finished eyeing up my sister, Skylark," he said, keeping his tone flat and unemotional. I rolled my eyes and chuckled.
"Must you be so straight laced, Eilauvaer?" I countered, turning back to Faeya with a smirk.
"And what brings such a lovely young lady to Rivendell?" I asked.
"To visit my brother, and hopefully find work," she replied, still blushing a little. I tucked a strand of hair behind my ear, feeling Lillieth's calculating stare as she watched the proceedings. I would kill that backstabbing bitch if it was the last thing I did. I smiled at Faeya, doing my best to look reasonably attractive.
"I hope you remain here, Faeya, it would be nice to see you again," I said, imitating the Rivendell elves' politeness. She blushed, keeping her gaze away from me.
"It would be nice to see you again too, Corporal Skylark," she replied. I took this as an opportunity to leave, kissing Faeya's hand again.
"Another time, my lady," I winked, before heading back to the training grounds. Behind me, I could hear Faeya calling to Lindir as he headed to the infirmary as quickly as his legs would carry him. He always worked too hard when he was upset. Lillieth smirked at me, making me want to beat her smug face to a pulp.
"Well done," she purred icily. I ignored her and went to the Sargent.
"When will my services next be required, sir?" I asked, fighting every urge to run back to Lillieth and strangle her.
"Why do you ask, Corporal Skylark?" He asked, staring down at me with that viper like gaze. I stood my ground.
"I would like to go and let off steam, sir, drilling these apes is frustrating me," I half-lied, keeping my gaze steely and determined.
"I'll want you back at 2:00, Skylark, and no disappearing," he nodded. I gave a sketchy bow, grabbing my riding gloves and storming off towards the stables.
~{}~~{}~~{}~
Lindir's POV
I burst into the infirmary, looking for Aerin. Her worried gaze met mine and she quickly came over to me, ushering me into a side room.
"Oh Lindir, what's happened?" She asked, pulling me close. I explained as well as I could, felling my heart unspooling faster than ever before.
"Why would he do that? I was talking to Thiliel and Allia last night and they know he's gay," she sighed "I'll be having words with this Glaedir Skylark."
"N-no, it's o-okay, I-I'll..." I began.
"He was listening in to our conversation last night Lindir," she said.
"Wh-What?" I stuttered. Aerin smiled down at me sadly.
"He knows about you, he knows that you're..."
"Gay?" Interrupted a voice behind us. Valar just take me now. Please. I wanted to melt into a puddle of darkness and disappear. Shakily, I turned to face my twin sister, unable to meet her gaze.
"You're..." She began. I nodded silently, still not looking her in the eyes. Faeya embraced me, squeezing me tightly.
"I'm s-sorry," I whispered hoarsely.
"Don't apologise for who you are, Lindir. You're my brother, I love you no matter what," she comforted. I smiled softly.
"Th-Thank you."
We turned to Aerin, who was watching us with a smile. She looked to Faeya and then to me.
"Lindir, could you cover my shift?" She asked.
"Of course," I nodded "But why?"
Aerin's eyes turned to Faeya.
"We've got a soldier to find."
~{}~~{}~~{}~
Glaedir's POV
I leapt down off Hummingbird, my heart still pounding in my chest. The stable boys came over and saw to my horse, bowing as I nodded sullenly. The ride had done a little to calm my anger, resentment and general discontent filling the gap instead. I removed my leather gloves, flexing my stiff, sore fingers. My knuckles were bruised and bloodied from venting my anger on a tree, bits of bark still stuck in the skin. I ignored my bloodstained right wrist, not wanting to face what I'd done.
~{}~~{}~~{}~
I headed across the courtyard, lost in my own thoughts. Suddenly, the breath was knocked from my lungs and my back met a wall. I flinched and shut my eyes, expecting to hear Lillieth's cold voice. Instead it was Thiliel that spoke.
"Is slamming him into a wall really necessary?" She asked. Allia answered her, her voice close to my ear.
"We need answers, it helps if we scare him."
"Violence isn't required, thank you ladies," said a familiar voice from this morning. I opened my eyes to see four she-elves, two Lorien and two Rivendell. Allia, Thiliel, Faeya and Aerin were all staring at me, the latter were watching as the former pinned me to the wall.
"What the fuck are you doing?" I asked.
All four she-elves looked at each other before Aerin spoke.
"It's about Lindir," she said. I frowned, hissing through my teeth as Allia'a hand pressed down on my wrist.
"What about him?" I asked quietly.
"Why were you flirting with me when you knew he liked you?" Faeya butted in. The words got caught on my tongue and the aching pieces of my heart began to hurt with renewed fire. I didn't answer, keeping my mouth shut to prevent the burning feeling creeping up my throat from choking me.
"Answer her question," growled Allia, her grip tightening. I yelped in pain as her hand pressed down hard on my wrist and both women released me.
"Glaedir?" Asked Thiliel softly.
"Leave me alone," I murmured, adjusting my tunic and straightening my cloak. I blinked away tears of pain that had sprung to my eyes. Thiliel took my hand gently, carefully pulling my sleeve up to reveal the small cluster of cuts which had begun to bleed again.
"Oh Glaedir..." She whispered softly.
"L-Leave me alone," I repeated, my voice faltering and my eyes burning with tears.
"Why did you flirt with me?" Faeya asked. I sighed softly.
"L-Lillieth made me, she wants me to stop this n-nonsense with Lindir or she'll tell the Sargent and have me posted back home."
The she-elves looked at each other, an air of guilt beginning to fill the atmosphere.
"I wouldn't hurt him," I continued.
"Glaedir, look we're sorry, we just..." Began Aerin.
"It doesn't matter. Now if you don't mind, I've got a load of apes to turn into soldiers."
With that I left them standing there, walking away with my hands shoved in my pockets and a bitter taste in my mouth.