Angels

Docor Rutherford looked over Luella carefully Chyna sat in the corner awaiting her turn while Cap waited outside

Docor Rutherford looked over Luella carefully Chyna sat in the corner awaiting her turn while Cap waited outside. Jim was quickly growing impatient with having to wait.

"Just head home uncle Jim. I can get home fine" Cap said. His eyes scanning the area just itching to see that man again. It only he had the chance to see his face.

"With rumors of them boys conjuring about in the woods? Don't let that girl get you stuck in somethin you oughtn't be Cap" Jim said.

Cap rolled his eyes "uncle Jim, jus go would ya." Cap said pointedly. "I ain't afraid of no fire starting crazies. Now go on before Pa sends someone up here" Cap reasoned.

Jim grumbled under this breath while spitting tobacco. Shoving his hands in his pockets Jim then wandered off to his horse.

Cap sighed at the moment to himself. He removed his hat and ruffled his hair. "Just can't stay outta trouble" he thought looking up at the night sky "no wonder she always had you all tied up in knots. I got her tho so you ain't got no care to worry about that" Cap murmured at the stars, he could almost feel the earth shaking from all the tuurning Ellison had to be doing inbhis grave.

Cap looked over to the cart to see Cotton sleeping peacefully in the back, snuggled under Caps pea-coat.

"I can alert the sheriff...did you see his face?" Rutherford asked Luella. "No, you can't tell no one. My job would be lost if i spoke against a patron and no man would want me if in he knew." She said her words rushing out in desperate speed.

"Its not like i remember his face anyhow. And why should i have too when i dont want too..." Luella muttered softly.

Chyna remained quiet sending the girl her sympathy in silence. "Very well...he did tear you a bit. Use this, its used after births it'll help you heal up" Rutherford said carefully handing Luella a small bottle.

"Can i go now?" Luella asked in quiet exhaustion. Rutherford nodded and Luella stood up and walked painfully to the door.

She stopped just before where Chyna sat. Luella gave her an stare that looked clean through her. "No one will ever understand the parts of us that died will they?" Luella asked.

She knew, she knew that this little negro woman knew what world that she herself now had to walk. Chyna shook her head "not really, but it gets easier once you can forgive yourself. It ain't your fault Miss." Chyna rasped.

Luella nodded with a numb expression. She looked down at the bundle of bloody cloths in her arms. Chyna got up slowly and walked over to Luella.

As if thouching a new born baby, Chyna reached out and placed her hand on Luella's arm. Her other hand going to grab the clothing. "Give em here" Chyna called softly. Luella let the cloths free from Her arms and Chyna gathered them up.

Luella watched her for a moment and the excused herself out of the building.

Outside she stopped next to Cap.