Chapter 26- "The world works in strange ways"

*Please vote! :D *

This time when I listened to the familiar soft rhythmic hum of the moving train, my head wasn't against the hard window, yet instead nestled in the crook of Alex's shoulder. Neither of us were sleeping, yet our eyes were closed and we were simply sitting next to each other, basking in one another's presence. 

As I breathed slowly, I couldn't help but smile slightly at Alex's comforting scent of vanilla, with the hint of fresh soap and mint. 

 It had been like this for over an hour now-- Nothing but calmness. Even though we were heading back to my hometown and it was an actual possibility that I would see Dominic again, none of it mattered when it was just the two of us. 

"Hey Dest?" Alex softly muttered. I could tell his eyes were still closed.

"Hmm?" 

"Look at me," he said. I lifted my eyes open and smiled at him, fighting the urge to poke his dimples. Alex was grinning with this wondrous glint in his forest green eyes. 

"Isn't it just amazing how two years ago on this very train we were merely strangers next to each other?" He chuckled, shaking his head in disbelief. I placed my hand over his and laced my fingers through his, and to my delight he held on to them tightly.

"I still think it's one of the best things that's ever happened to me. Just imagine, if I left five minutes earlier to become a rogue or anything else that day, and you didn't find me, none of this would've ever happened," I sighed. 

"Well, we're lucky that this isn't your imagination, and that I really did take you on the train where you stole my book," Alex laughed. 

"Hey, did you really expect me of all people to sit still on a train for eight hours without any sort of entertainment?" I argued, nudging him gently. I could feel his chest rumble in silent laughter. 

"I didn't expect you'd be the person I'd be waking up next to in bed,"  he replied. 

I knitted my eyebrows as if to ask him,  "What the hell is that supposed to mean?".

"Okay Dest first of all, you were sixteen and I was nineteen," he exclaimed.

"Well thank God for past tense. . " I muttered under my breath.

"Hush, let me continue," he flicked my cheekbone. "Anyways, aside from our noticeable age gap back then, who ever thought that we of all people would become best friends, nevertheless, mates? What I'm trying to say is that the world works in strange ways, and sometimes they bring miracles."

At the sound of those words my heart warmed and the butterflies that arrived in my stomach made me feel as if I was falling in love with him again. 

"Alex, you know I'm not about that corny life, but I just want to remind you that every little thing you do or say makes me fall in love with you all over again, every goddamned time," I admitted, pulling thoughtlessly at a loose string of my sweater. 

Alex leaned over and wordlessly lifted my chin up with his two slender fingers and planted a tender yet heartfelt kiss to my lips. 

"There are a million things I want to do to you right now, Destiny Evans, but we're on a train," Alex whispered with his crooked smile, his face inches away from mine. 

I snickered and nodded in agreement. Even though we were in our own small compartment, it still had windows that were clear as day. 

Alex spread out a soft blanket between us and then rested his head against mine. And this time when we closed our eyes, we fell asleep.