X

Her dread followed her for the rest of the day. Dreading seeing Noah. Dreading going home to her aunt and Paul. She wished that she could just run away, far from school and home, but she knew that was impossible.

And, running away from her problems would solve absolutely nothing.

When she walked into class, she sat in the back of the classroom, trying to hide behind her backpack. She sat it on her desk, pretending it was a barrier that could offer protection, but even she knew that was wishful thinking.

Shaniah walked in, sauntering over to her own seat, not bothering to look at Andorra, which was a breath of fresh air. She'd expected worse, and was pleasantly surprised to see that her torment wouldn't continue right then.

But she knew she'd spoken too soon when Noah strode in, his confidence so strong it seemed to wash over the entire class. But, he didn't sit with Shaniah - didn't even look at her as he walked towards Andorra.

He motioned to the seat beside her. "Is this seat taken?"

She dropped her backpack into the seat defiantly. "Yes it is." She didn't even look at him as she held her chin high, staring at the front of the class like she wasn't aware of everyone looking at her.

She wasn't looking at him, so she missed the way his face twisted into something similar to despair.

The girl to Andorra's right stood up suddenly. "Noah, my seat is open."

Andorra sent a glare towards the girl she didn't know, wondering why the girl would offer up her seat when it was obvious Andorra didn't want to sit next to Noah. Noah thanked the girl, crossed aisles, then sat right next to Andorra.

She didn't move her backpack, just continued to stare forward, ignoring him. Part of her wanted to look him at and take in his pale skin, those dark eyes, and that unimpressed expression of his. But, she wasn't going to entertain him, not like he wanted her to.

He wasn't going to let her ignore him, though. He leaned towards her, and the familiar smell of the crisp winter weather somewhere deep in the woods assaulted her nose. How, she wondered, could someone smell like that?

"Andorra, did something happen this morning?"

She turned towards Noah, giving him her full attention, and she was shocked to find that he was leaning far closer to her than she originally imagined. "Tell your girlfriend to leave me alone."

Noah's eyes darkened, but he didn't correct her claim. His expression chilled, and his body tensed. "What did Shaniah say to you?"

She was not about to have this conversation less than 10 feet away from Shaniah, not when everyone around them was listening in. "You can ask her yourself. Better yet, you could just go up and sit with her. Just tell her to leave me alone."

Shaniah was already looking at them, her expression sour. She turned to the phone in her lap, and began texting someone.

"Why do you let her get to you?" The question seemed sincere, but Andorra didn't trust it, not for a moment. She focused back at the front of the class and let her gaze wander to the teacher as she walked in.

Noah didn't push her again as the teacher began writing on the board. "I want you to get with your partners and work on your projects today. Next week, you'll be turning the first assignment in, and I want to make sure you have some class time to work."

Andorra silently sat, disappointed that she would have to talk with Noah for the entire class. She wasn't thrilled, but it also would be more interesting than listening to another lecture.