Chapter 13 part 1

Chapter 13

Bryan jogged to the middle of the quiet street and scanned the yellow, sodium lit pavement.  Half a block away, William turned down an alley.  "William!  William Adams!"

The light faded to blue shadows as Bryan followed and entered the alley.  He slowed and his eyes picked out William's silhouette against the light at the far end.  He maneuvered around the trash and down the alley.  "Will you please stop?"

Bryan jerked himself to a halt when he saw William slow and turn.  The bag of food in his left hand, he kept his right loose, ready to slide under his jacket to the gun.  He edged forward.  "You said this smelled good.  You hungry?"  He watched as William turned from him and gazed blankly at the air to his left.  Then, William nodded and reached out a palm.  Bryan set the bag onto it.

He waited, muscles still, as William eased down to the alley floor and dug into the bag.  "Did you stop a fight last night?  Did you kill those men?"

There was no answer except slow chewing noises.

"I saw what you did in the restaurant, back there.  Not the first one, but the other two.  You stopped that fight.  And the woman the night before last.  You saved her, didn't you?  She said you helped her."

Still no answer, just another big bite and more chewing.  Bryan blew out a sigh and stepped back to the opposite wall of the alley.  He'd heard that one of the dead men last night had been shot with his own gun.  And after what he'd seen in the diner, he knew he'd have to be cautious about bringing William in.  It would be safer, easier to convince him than to try to fight him.  "You hear what they're calling you?  The Night Stalker.  Hell, you don't look anything like Darin McGavin."

At that, William looked up.  "The actor.  That old TV show."

Contact, finally.

"That's right.  Yeah," Bryan said.

He saw confusion squint William's eyes.  "Why?"

A snort jumped out of Bryan's throat.  "I don't know.  People are crazy."

"You're telling me."

Bryan cocked his head at William, slowly realized it was a joke.  He smiled, pushed off from the wall and left one hand at his belt, by his handcuffs.  "William.  I want you to come with me."

He saw a frown grow on William's face, then melt into blankness.  William turned to the end of the alley, stood up sharply.  Bryan pulled his hand from the cuffs and drew his handgun.

"I have to go," William said.

Bryan stood firm, arms level.

William looked from Bryan to the dirty walls of the alley.  It was a disconcerting habit, as if they were in a room full of people that Bryan couldn't see.  William nodded again at the empty air.  "They say you should come." 

Bryan watched a moment as William walked down the alley, then started after.  "Stop."

"You won't shoot me," William said.

"Don't push your luck."

"Not unless I threaten you.  They told me."  Bryan stood there, gun still level as William turned and jogged away.  The man was right.  Bryan had no interest in shooting him.  But what the hell was he supposed to do?  He put the gun away and ran after.  Ahead of him, William slapped one hand down on top of a dumpster that blocked the end of the alley and vaulted over it.  With a grunt, Bryan clambered up, swung his legs over and dropped to the pavement on the other side, landing face to face with William.