Chapter Nine

I woke up and my skin felt sweaty, I sighed and got out of bed to take a shower. The clock only said it was seven a.m, but I figured I'd gone to bed early enough for this to be an acceptable time to wake up. I stumbled into the bathroom and washed my hair, face, and body as hard as possible without losing skin. The sun shined through the window, and it felt like a warm enough day to go to the beach. The ideas festered in my brain, and I walked down the stairs after I dressed myself. 

"Good morning," the voice stopped me cold in my tracks, "I made some coffee." Blankets and pillows sprawled around the couch and I swallowed hard. 

"Thanks," I walked around the corner and poured myself a cup mixing in a bit of milk and sugar. She looked especially appealing when she was sleepy. Her hair was knotted and sticking up but she looked well. Her clothes were droopy and the jeans were long gone. She was in a pair of Viper's boxers, and I looked over her long tan legs. They shined with a particular radiance I found enticing. I looked out the window to distract myself from looking at her. The birds were flying, and the grass looked greener than it has in a while. 

"It's finally beach weather," she smiled and I tried to contain the shock. "You plan on going?" I took my phone out.

"Yeah, I might bring my friend today." She studied me as I send a text to Savannah. It said:

"Beach weather, pack a suit. I'll come at noon. Don't ask why I'm awake so early. So much to tell you." 

"Lucky," she said quietly and sipped her coffee, "Viper-"

"Hates the beach." I cut her off. "I know." She raised a brow at me and sipped again, long and low. I walked to the window and fumbled for my mother's lighter and cigarettes. I lit one and inhaled a long drag and let it go out the window. I watched the stream of smoke curl into the sun. 

"I didn't know you smoked." She studied me and I blew out another stream. 

"I don't usually," I thought carefully, "just when I'm stressed."

"Well, what's bugging you sugar." The words played chords in my emotions that both pleased me and stung. I crushed the cigarette in the windowsill. I spun on my heels to face her and she was right next to me. I shut my eyes and tried not to breath her in. She was irresistible in Viper's boxers and her loose fit shirt. 

"Let's talk." I pressed a hand into her shoulders to guide her to the couch and felt her muscles twitch under my hands. I sat her down and took a safe distance from her, but sat too. 

"What is it?" She asked, cocking her head. 

"Yesterday," I sighed, "what the hell was that?"

"A kiss." She said innocently. 

"It would have been more if my mother hadn't come, correct?"

"Did you want it to be?"

"Answer my question." I shut my eyes and kept them shut for a few seconds while she spoke.

"Yes, it would have been more." 

"Okay," I felt better about the interrogation knowing I was doing it right, "which leads me into my rant. I thought you were with Viper?"

"I am," she said slowly, "but I can't help it that the whole family has good looks." I stared at her and she saw no wrong in the sentence that hung there. 

"Well, I'm not going to be a sideshow, and I'm not going to let you hurt Viper. So whatever the fuck it was, it isn't anymore. Do you understand? I have to tell Viper."

"Are you gay?" She asked me, and I figured Viper was in earshot. I glanced around unsure if I was right or not. 

"I don't know," I admitted not caring if Viper or mom heard, "I might be." I paused and studied her expression. She looked confused, and a little more interested than she should be. "Why?" I asked instead, "Are you?"