Chapter 68

Cami sped the car down the road, while Grace desperately tried to calm Hope down. The baby must've sensed the women's distress and immediately started to cry. 

The problem was that they didn't have a clue where to go now. Except from New Orleans, Grace only knew the property in Mystic Falls and they sure as hell couldn't bring Hope there. Worry about Elijah added to Grace's lack of composure. She needed to act. But they didn't even have a phone to call Nik and ask for help.

"There's a gas station, I'll compel someone to hand me a phone." 

The blonde beside her eagerly nodded, never expecting herself to be happy to have someone capable of mind compulsion by her side. But the supernatural witness protection program seemed to make people change. 

Cami pulled over and stopped the car in front of the building that looked more like a shabby shack than a gas station. Two women on the run with a baby, forcibly halting in the middle of nowhere. The perfect start to a bad horror movie. But Cami knew that she could trust Grace. The determined look on the brunette while she scanned the area told her that she would do everything to protect them. Anyway, her blood smeared chin and icily staring eyes gave her a kind of frightening look. She wouldn't advice anyone to dare and cross Grace Gilbert in protection mode. 

"Lock the car. If I'm not back out in five minutes, you'll get the hell out of here." 

Grace looked at her, waiting for Cami to confirm that she understood. The blonde just nodded, reaching behind her to get Hope out of her seat and cradle her to her chest to calm her. 

After Grace exited the car, she waited until she heard the lock clicking shut until she walked towards the dimly lit building. She came to an abrupt halt when she heard something shuffling from the tree line. Her eyes darted towards the darkness and she felt her fangs lengthen, ready to rip through flesh. She was ready to fight and anyone who tried to take up on her would regret it. 

Grace lunged at the figure hovering in the dark, but right when she should've crashed into it, she felt gentle hands stopping her by her shoulders. When she looked up she directly met Elijah's eyes and her knees threatened to collapsed when the tension fell from her all of a sudden. 

"Oh my god. You're ok."

They wrapped their arms around each other, simply happy to see that they were both fine. Grace couldn't believe how worried she had been, but seeing him one piece made everything easier. 

"I am. Come." 

Placing his hand on the small of her back, he led her back to the car. Through the front window they saw an equally relieved Cami when they saw both her protectors walking towards her. 

"Where are we going?" 

Grace asked as she got into the driver's side, so Cami could go to the back and rest a bit. 

"Home." 

Elijah stated firmly.

...

Rebekah outdid herself with the weddings preparations. She sure as hell loved to plan this all out, but felt a little sad that this wasn't her own wedding. Grace knew how much her friend longed for such a life. All she got were complications, especially now in her new, much more vulnerable body. 

It was a pity that she had to go and help Kol, not able to see how it all worked out. Grace would've felt much more comfortable if she would've stayed, as the house was nearly bursting with awkward tension. Nik and Elijah both walked around with grim expressions and Hayley was excited to see her daughter but still heavily nervous. Of course she was.