16

Jay was completely and utterly embarrassed. To make matters worse, all three of the Bohannan siblings saw the whole thing. Even though Raegan and Brennan were laughing now, she knew they would let it go. She was more worried about Kieran. He would hold this over her head for months to come. She knew he would be the one to constantly remind her of how she lost control and ate a rabbit.

"You lasted a few more seconds than I thought you would," Simone said as she handed Jay an oversized sweater. Jay took the article of clothing in her mouth and trotted behind a tree to change. Once she was out, she avoided looking at the smug looks Kieran was giving her.

"I can feel the fur in my teeth," Jay said as she flicked her tongue over them.

Simone gave her a sympathetic look as Jay made a face at her growing nausea. "You're not the first nor the last. It takes time to learn to control your inner wolf." Jay assumed she was speaking from her past. Simon had years of experience dealing with her beast. Even though she looked like she was in her early twenties, Simone was nearing her late forties.

"I would ask if you want some supper, but I'd say you're already full." Kieran's voice prickled Jay's nerves into annoyance.

"I'm ignoring you," Jay yelled over her shoulder as she walked through the back door and into the house. Here, she made her way to her bathroom, where she began to pick out the tufts of fur from her teeth as well as try to brush them clean. Jay placed her hands on the sink and stared into the mirror. Her memories flashed to when she first was showing signs of her beast emerging. Before she turned into a hybrid, Jay's eyes would flash silver, almost like a piece of the moon was fitted into her eye socket. Now, her eye colour morphed into black, and she looked like a soulless monster. Her eyes seemed to be bottomless. No light shone in their inkiness.

Jay made sure her eyes were back to normal before exiting the bathroom. Simone was told Jay needed help controlling her beast, and that was it. She was completely unaware of what she was training. She didn't need to know either.

As Jay descended the stairs, she couldn't help but feel a sense of worry settle within her gut. Even though she was going through as much training as possible, she still felt like she was going nowhere. Today proved the beast could easily take over, and she could lose control in the blink of an eye. Would Jay be ready by the time she wanted to be? She still wanted to attend school so she could acquire her high school diploma. She still dreamed of going off to college and starting a career for herself. Even though she was some type of mutant beast, she wanted to remain as normal as she could. But Jay doubted her abilities to do so.

"Your inner animal is just more reluctant to obey; that's why you're having troubles with control. The more powerful your animalistic side is, the harder it is to control it." Simone said from the table as she stared at Jay's defeated expression. Her logic made sense, considering Jay's family lineage had Alpha blood in it. "Who did you say your family was?"

"She didn't," Kieran said as he took a seat at the table.

Simone shook her head as she rolled her eyes. "Yeah, okay, I get it."

Jay felt terrible for leaving Simone in the dark about so many things, but she also knew it was for the better. Kieran and Brennan had made it pretty clear that not many people could be trusted about this sort of thing, especially another werewolf. Werewolves would feel more threatened by Jay's presence because she could topple the overall hierarchy of the werewolf world. Alpha's from all over would want to exterminate Jay because she could potentially take over their packs. Not that Jay would want that kind of responsibility, but from her experience in fighting off two Alpha's, she didn't doubt her capabilities.

"But still, you just don't seem the type to be a rouge." Simone carried on even though Kieran gave her a stern glance.

"I'm not a rogue, at least I don't think so. I'm pretty sure I have a pack," Jay said as she fidgeted with her fingers.