Chapter 42: No Physical Contact

Rule #3: No Physical Contact

Don't kiss anyone. It leads to a dangerous game. 

- () - 

"What's Plan A?" 

"What?"

"You said something about Plan A yesterday."

I stir my cereal, watching the flakes swim in the milk. I remember the exact conversation Archer's talking about, where I accidentally mentioned Plan A while complaining about Andrew. After I recognized my mistake, I changed the subject quickly so he wouldn't notice. Clearly, he did. 

"Um, I don't remember saying anything about a Plan A. 

Archer leans forward, resting his elbows on the table. "You're lying. I can tell."

"What," Despite our conversation, I smile. "So you have the power to read my mind now that we're in a relationship?" 

"Not all of your mind. I still don't know what Plan A is." 

"And you're never going to find out." 

Melody runs down the stairs with an all-pink outfit on, effectively ending our conversation. I finish the last of the cereal, then put it in the sink. Archer hands me my backpack and we head outside. Melody greets Raquel, whose car is apparently fixed, with a hug. 

"I bet Melody knows what Plan A is," Archer says. 

"She doesn't." 

"Liar," Archer grins.

I scowl. 

"Melody!" 

"Stop," I clamp my hand over his mouth. Nobody in my family knows that we're dating yet and I want to keep it quiet just in case mom's spying on us from one of the windows. "Fine, I'll tell you. Just get in the car and shut up." 

Pleased, Archer gets into the driver's seat. I slide in next to him. Since Julia's sick and couldn't make it today, we have the car to ourselves. 

I knew I would have to tell Archer about my mission to get rid of my crush on him someday. But I  wanted to have that conversation in three or four years. Maybe I should tell the story really quietly while he's driving and he won't pay attention to me. 

Archer starts the engine, then looks at me expectantly. 

I swallow nervously. "Are you going to drive?" 

"Not until you tell me what Plan A is about." 

"Didn't Andrew tell you?"  

"I didn't let him." 

I pause. That's actually sweet of him.

"We're going to be late to school," I say.

"Then you better tell me what Plan A is quickly." 

"Fine," I position my body so that it's facing the window and I don't have to see his expression. A chuckle from behind me lets me know that Archer knows exactly what I'm doing. "Okay, so you already know that I created some plans to get rid of my crush on you."

Archer begins to back the car out of the driveway. 

"Plan A was to use a rubber band to get rid of my feelings for you. Everything I would get - ugh, this is embarrassing - butterflies or something stupid like that, I'd snap the rubber band so that I feel pain instead." 

"Hang on," Archer says, as if he just understood something very important. "Was this when you got your flu shot? I thought it was because you were scared of the flu shot but it was actually because you had a - had a -"