27. You're Mine

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this too, was a gift."

- Mary Oliver

************************************************

"Nothing can happen between us." Axel's voice was hard and empty as we pulled into the driveway.

My head snapped over towards him, my stomach twisted for some reason at his words. I gave him a bewildered look even though he wasn't looking at me. Anger and frustration suddenly pulsed through me uncontrollably, I gritted my teeth hard trying not to snap at him.

I gave him one last look before swinging the car door open but before I got out I stopped and turned to face Axel again.

"Did you come to that conclusion before or after you punched Rylan?" I hissed at him.

His facial expression didn't change as he looked at me I did, however, see him clench his jaw tightly. Even though I could barely see him due to the little lighting in the car his dark eyes still pierced through me, I stared at him waiting for an answer.

"You're a coward," I said through gritted teeth when I realized he wasn't going say anything. I got out the car, slamming the door in the process.

I immediately heard the driver side door closed and the fast footsteps of Axel gaining on me. I felt him wrap is large hand around my arm and whip me around to face him. The porch light illuminated his face and I could finally see his strained features clearly.

"I said nothing could happen not that I didn't want them too," Axel said his chest panting slightly from chasing after me.

"What does that even mean!" I asked annoyed, shaking his hold off my arm.

He just shook his head and looked down at the ground, his eyebrow knitting together, looking like he was deep in thought. I found myself shaking my head right back in disbelief.

"It's real easy when the secrets favor you." I signed annoyed.

Axel's head suddenly snapped to mine, anger was clear in his eye and I felt the urge to back up a couple feet but I didn't.

"Do you think any of this is easy?" He asked me.

I looked at him not knowing what to say, my mouth went to open but closed instantly, leaving me looking like a fish out of the water.

"It doesn't matter," I shrugged giving up.

"My feelings, like everything else, are only temporary," I told him, staring into his dark eyes.

"So don't worry about it, nothing between us will happen." I tried to act as confident as I could but my chest felt heavy saying the words.

The truth was Axel had been living in my thoughts for awhile now and I guess I thought deep down I was secretly living in his too. I never really stopped to think about what could happen between Axel and me, I just knew that whenever he said my name I felt reassured. I just knew I had the urge to be with him and the constant need to make sure he was okay.

Everything with Axel felt so brand new, new emotions and thoughts that I wasn't sure how to handle. Which intern gave Axel the power to do damage that no other person is capable of doing, that thought alone terrifies me to no belief.

"I can assure you of that," I told him before spinning on my heels and walking into the house.

"Mia," I heard him call after me but I ignored it.