Chapter 23

Chapter 23

The day passes by slower than usual, filled with stares and people asking both me and Grayson whether we were together.

The answers stayed simple, stating we were together and it wasn't complex or confusing as everyone thought.

Regardless though, people boiled the information down to two rumors: serious relationship and friends with benefits.

By the time lunch rolled around, Shelly and Nathan convinced me that I had collected a group of girls who hated my guts. It was awkward none, to say the least, having girls who didn't know me personally but hated me because of who I was dating. Despite it all, I wasn't about to let it affect me.

Not seeing Belle anywhere in sight, I smiled as I walked over to my stunt group. 

"When were you going to tell me you're dating Christensen?" Renee asked, taking a bite of her sandwich, "I thought you were ready to stay single for the rest of this year." 

"Tell me about it," I shrugged, "So did I, but he's not too bad once you get to know him." 

Nathan rolled his eyes at me, "Look at you all head over heels for him. Don't get your heart broken by some jock who plays girls just as good as he plays football." 

Though hearing it come out of a friend's mouth felt strange now, it wasn't that long ago that I held Grayson in the same light: some above-average football player that went through girls like trophies.

"You know what we mean," Shelly smiled, rubbing my back, "We just don't want to see you get hurt. You're our flyer and you already get hurt enough. Your heart should be the one thing that's intact if your ankle isn't." 

I laughed and nodded, "I know you all want what's best for me, but Grayson has a different vibe when we're alone."

I didn't want to elaborate more than that, excited that there was a side of him that no one else but I knew. 

"Like alone or like alone?" Nathan asked suggestively, wiggling his eyebrows.

"Oh shut up," I said, jokingly shoving him before feeling a tap on my back. 

I turned to find Belle who immediately muttered, "Can we talk?" 

"Yea of course," I replied, grabbing my bag and standing up, "I'll catch you guys later."

Renee, Shelly, and Nathan nodded, understanding, before waving goodbye. They had known the gist about what had happened when I frequented their table more often but didn't pry until I was ready to talk about it. 

Quietly, Belle and I began walking side by side around campus, neither of us knowing what to say. 

"I'm really sorry," Belle started, "Look you know I just wanted what's best for you."

I sighed, "I'm sorry too, you shouldn't have found out the way you did."

"It was Tony and I's fault," She shook her head, "It just, I was so caught up in the whirlwind of dating him and everything felt so good for once in my life that I didn't want to ruin it." 

That hurt. 

I didn't want to admit it, but I didn't want to be a friend where she thought telling me about something that made her happy would ruin it. After all, she and Tony had exclusively slept with each other before with no string attached. 

"I didn't know you thought that way," I shrugged, "I just thought it'd be nice to know because it seemed like I was the last person to. I'm not saying you need to tell me everything but our friendship isn't between us anymore but with Tony too." 

"It's not that easy keeping your relationship and friendship separate," She muttered, with a hint of annoyance, hoping I didn't hear her. 

I left it at that, not wanting to start another argument, "I don't want to not be friends because of some guys but I also don't want to be the third wheel in everything we seem to do."

Belle sighed, "I know, it's hard for me to see your point of view but I understand." 

The silence came back, with neither of us knowing what to say next. 

"Soo, you and Grayson huh? Are you really dating him?" Belle asked, "I guess I kinda know how you felt when you found out from Tony."

"I didn't mean to not tell you first to get back at you or anything. It had only happened after our text conversation this morning when he asked me, " I explained, "I was planning on telling you during our conversation right now, regardless of how it played out." 

I could see relief in her eyes, but the moment of being in my position seemed to have left an effect on her. 

"I'm saying this as your best friend though," She sighed, "I don't think it's a good idea, Lana."