Chapter 49

"What are you talking about?"

"It was Harrison's father," he says again, confusing Jana.

"Okay," I whisper, not sure what to think but forcing myself to push it to the back of my head. "What does that have to do with the station?"

"We can't trust them. Most of the officers are in agreements with the mayor, Harrison's father. If we give it to someone we can't trust, they'll destroy it, I promise you," he explains. "You have to give it to someone you trust."

I squeeze my eyes shut, knowing what he means. "My mother."

Jana holds her breath in the back and Daniel keeps his eyes on me. The USB drive is locked in my hand and it feels as if I'm holding a diamond. Everything is happening so suddenly, and now with my mother thrown into the equation, my head can't help but spin. Putting all my trust in Daniel, I mumble, "Let's go to my house then."

He starts the car and leaves the parking lot, turning onto the main road. I can feel the drive pushing into my palm from my tightening grip, not knowing if I trust my mother or not. I suppose the only issue between us and the truth was the fact that I had no proof and that I was drunk, so maybe this will bring her to my side. How can she fight a video that shows enough? She can't. I know my mother, I know her passion for what she does, and I'm certain she doesn't work for Harrison's father.

Daniel offers his hand, so I take it and hold on.

"I am so confused right now," Jana mutters from the back.

"Don't worry," I glance to her, "I'll explain later."

When we reach my house, I stay in the car for a few minutes and we sit in silence. My chest feels heavy and the idea of talking to my mother about this make me feel sick. Daniel doesn't let go of me, and I'm sure my harsh grip is keeping him from doing so. I look to him. "It's so difficult."

"I know," he murmurs, "but you finally got your chance. Don't psych yourself out, be strong, Hailey, you can do this."

I nod. "Okay, you're right. I just need to do it, no overthinking." I reach for the handle and grip it, but quickly turn back to Daniel to steal a kiss. I feel like we have switched roles, now I'm the one who will always kiss whenever I want. It's swift and passionate and he gives me a charming smile when I pull back. "Okay, I'm going now."

I slide out of the car and shut the door behind me, facing my house like it is some castle and I am a single invader. The walk up is long and filled with anxiety, also stopped with a few glances back at his car. I take my keys and unlock the door, finding it odd if I ring the doorbell and my mother answers and I hold up the drive. I open the door and close it behind me, facing the room as if I am in some foreign place. "Mom?" I call out, trying to be brave. "Mom?"

"Hailey?"

I turn to face the hallway where she appears from the kitchen. "What are you doing home?"

I clench my jaw and steadily walk towards her. "We need to talk. It's important."

"Did you just leave the school without permission?" She questions, acting motherly today. "You can't just leave whenever you feel like, that's not how this works."

"Mom," I say, my voice louder, more serious, "we need to talk."

She prepares for the worst as she leads me into the kitchen, motioning for me to sit down at the counter. She must think I'm pregnant or something because she already looks disappointed. "Alright, go ahead."

I take the drive from my pocket and place it on the counter. Her eyes go to it then back to me. "What is that, Hailey?"

"It's..." I think about Daniel and Jana in the car and how proud they'll be of me. "It's proof of what happened at Harrison Keller's party last year. It's a video that caught everything that happened between us, everything he did to me."

My mother's eyes fall back to the USB drive, but her head doesn't move. "Hailey—"

"I'm not asking you to believe me, I'm not coming to you as your daughter. You're a police officer that I can trust, and all I want is for you to do your job."

She crosses her arms. "Where did you get a video of it?"

"A boy was filming at the party and caught it through the window."

She nods. "You're a good girl, Hailey. You've always been. And I know that I haven't always been a good mom, but I can be a good officer for you, alright?"

"Okay," I breathe out.

"I'll take it down to the station with me now and I'll get some good people to handle it with me." She takes the drive and finishes her coffee in one motion, gathering her things, but she stops and looks to me. "Even if there's no video on this thing, I'm still sorry for how I've been treating you. You're a child and you don't deserve to be treated like a punching bag. After your father left, I wasn't in a good place, and I haven't been for a while, and I'm sorry for taking out my frustration on you. You're my child, I should have believed you when you first came to me."

I stay silent for a moment, not knowing what to say. She gives me a kiss on the forehead before grabbing her things again, her keys jingling and growing quiet as she walks to the door. I turn and run into the hall, causing her to turn around. "I'm sorry that dad left and ruined you a bit, but I'd be really nice if we could get back on track. I don't know, I miss being your daughter, Mom."

She smiles a smile that looks a little sad, but happy at the same time. "Of course."

I smile back the same smile and watch as she leaves the house, the door shutting and silence returning. The sounds of her car starting up in the driveway and pulling out onto the road makes it easier to breathe as I realize that I did it. After taking a deep breath, I hurry back outside to Daniel and Jana in the car. Right when I open the door I am greeted by their proud looks. "Good job, Hailey," Jana beams and gets out of the car to hug me. Daniel does the same, and my smile couldn't be brighter. "What now?" She asks.

"We wait, I guess. My mom is bringing it to the station now and only having people she trusts work on it. I'm sure she'll text me updates and whatnot, but she apologized. She's going to try and be better."

Daniel pulls me in again. "That's so good to hear."

"How about we go and get some food. Schools not out for another two hours, so how about Knocks?" Jana suggests and we agree, gathering back in the car. I keep my phone close to me, waiting for a text or phone call just to hear that it's in the right hands. My mother would keep me assured.

I feel Daniel place his hand on my thigh and I place my hand on top of his, finally feeling complete. There's no more worries or hunts or tears, I just have to trust in my mother and hope that I get justice. It is out of my hands now, all I can do is hope.

******************************************
Last update is planned for Thursday.

One more chapter!