CHAPTER 64

HUSNA'S POV

I was so nervous, yet as soon as Zaid walked into the room, he put all my fears to rest. I didn't know what to say to him, so I just looked up shyly and made Salaam.

"Assalamualaikum Husna. How are you?" he said, breaking the ice.

"Wa Alaykumus Salaam, I'm Alhamdulillah and you?" I replied.

"Alhamdulillah. I guess this is a little less intimidating since we've done it before. Only problem is, we've already asked all the questions," he laughed.

"Well, I guess you could say that I've grown. Don't know about you," I retorted.

"So, tell me, what's your plans for the future?" we said to each each other simultaneously.

We laughed.

The hour went by depressingly quickly, and we spoke about everything that came to mind. We discussed the important issues and random things. It was a refreshing change to my day, and I didn't realise how much I was enjoying it until he got up to leave.

"So Husna, make your Istikhara and I'll make mine. Then we can decide, okay?"

I agreed, though my attention had already flickered to his beard and the unique way he slipped on his jacket when he turned to leave.

Seven days later, I received a call from Zaid's mother, Aunty Rasheeda, saying that his Isthikara was positive. I gave my reply immediately, because mine was positive too.

The excitement of the future loomed before me. It felt as if I was walking on a cloud of hope, beauty and love. The pieces of the puzzle were finally beginning to fit together.