30. Better

CHAPTER THIRTY:
BETTER

- Jihee -

It was one good interview, for which I had been nervous since yesterday, and supposedly went well. I wished getting a job was as easy as drinking this cup of coffee I just got served. I grabbed the cup, paid for it and walked out of the shop.

I had this unfinished call with this person, so I called him back, and one ring was enough for him to answer.

"Jungsik?"

"Oh, you're free now. What were you saying?" he asked.

"Oh, yeah. I gave a few interviews and even got a call from one but the pay was less. Don't worry, I gave one today and I think it went pretty well. I'm gonna get this job, " I tried to distract him from his original question but he was smart enough not to fall for it.

"Not that one, " he reminded.

"Oh, um, he got engaged, um, his fiance is beautiful. And yeah, I'm meeting him today. I'll tell him that you were asking about him. It kinda hurt you know. I don't know why, but I'll get over this. Don't worry about me, and tell me about you. How are you doing? And what about her? Tell her that I miss her-"

"I think I'm gonna have to come there-"

"No! No! NO! Please. I can take care of myself, okay? It's been a week and I'm totally safe. I bumped into that person at the airport the day I landed, and everything's good. I can tell it wasn't him, " it was actually a hard job to convince him.

"Are you talking about that cheater?"

"Yes-" I froze the moment my eyes met a pair of familiar ones. "I'll call you later, " and I hung up the call.

I would like to address him as an old friend, whose eyes got wide as soon as he saw me. I walked to him and noticed his facial features in a close-up, and damn this kid had become one hell of a good looking guy. I showed him off a little nervous smile and offered a handshake.

"Long time no see, Hyungsik."

"I missed you, " he ignored the handshake and initiated for a hug instead.

"So how've you been?" I broke the hug and tried to start a conversation.

"Oh, um, I still live next to your apartment, but you moved out I guess, um, like, you kinda disappeared from our life. I heard you're with some other guy now. That's what Jimin Hyung told-"

"You mean Park Jimin?" my eyes unconsciously rolled up to heaven.

"Oh? I gotta go. I'm sorry, " he left his sentence unfinished and rushed out of the place.

It sounded like these two neighbors who used to hate each other had gotten along by now. I remembered the small amount of time three of us had spent together, and that movie night was somewhat like I was babysitting those two stubborn grown-ups. I kinda missed those happy moments, but I always ended up having the bad ones at the end of the day.

I was supposed to meet this newly engaged man in about ten minutes, so I fastened my steps to get to the coffee shop, where we decided to meet, in time. I kinda felt awful about how happy he was over the phone the time I asked him to meet up.

"Am I late?" I asked myself.

Not really.

"Hey, Samuel!"

I arrived at the place exactly four minutes earlier and there he was already with an empty cup of coffee in the table. I sat down beside him and ordered one for me since you never say no to coffee. I began to have this feeling that I gave him a wrong idea about this.

"I'll be straight with my words. I'm gonna have to meet your cousin, who is in the police, the one I met at your engagement party again, " I started nervously.

"Why?" his happy face turned into a confused one.

"You remember the unfinished job I was talking about the other day? And the half-truth over which we kinda got into a fight? I think I'm ready to tell you the rest of the truth, " I sighed and told him every single detail.

It made him speechless. I could feel my eyes starting to well up but I had to hide it from him. I wanted to ask help from his cousin to help me find out the real person behind all of those shits I had to go through, and it was necessary to tell him all of this to have him talk to his cousin.

"So the cheater guy was the one who paid those men to kill you?"

I facepalmed.

"No? That's what I want to find out with the help of your cousin. You don't have to so this if you don't want to. I can understand. I mean I broke your heart and all-"

"I will help you, but will you be okay? I promised your friend, and now I'm sure this was the reason he acted all weird and asked me to stay by your side, " he asked worriedly.

"I'm glad you're willing to help me out and don't worry about me. I'll be fine. And yeah, I think my interview went well and I'm supposed to get a call by the end of this week, " I changed the subject and cheered myself up.

I had him unsure regarding my reassurance about being alright, but he supported me anyway and told me that he would talk to his cousin soon and inform me about it.

It was pretty late until the conversation came to an end, so both of us decided to go for dinner as well. I was brought to this fancy restaurant, and I was lucky that the place was not that expensive and I had my card that was enough to split the bill and pay for myself.

I thought of walking since my house was only a few blocks away, but he insisted to drive me home safely even for a short distance. I was that one lucky person who got to spend a whole ass year with him, and the one who was getting married to him was the luckiest.

"Kim Samuel? Can I trust you that you'll treat her the way she deserves?" I asked before getting off the car.

"Yes."

"Goodnight, " I kissed on his cheek and walked out.

I watched his car drive out of my sight and turned to my house.

"I'm gonna need some ice cream, " I walked into the house and to the kitchen to grab some.

It got me all excited when I got a call from an unknown number since I assumed it to be good news, but I regretted even picking up the call once I heard that voice from the other line.

"Are you still awake?"

It was Jimin.

"What is it? And how did you get my number?" that voice seriously annoyed me.

"I wanted to hear your voice. And ask something too. Is he better than me? Does he treat you well? I was in a meeting with this client and saw you with him in that restaurant today. You two look good together. I just want to make sure he treats you well and that you are happy, " he sounded drunk.

"Are you drunk?"

"N-No."

"He's much better than you."

••••••••••

"The one I wanted wasn't the one who deserved me"

••••••••••