18

"Jason? W-what are you doing?" he picked me up and threw me over his shoulder. I started punching his back and kicking his stomach. "Let me down you cagna," I screamed. He walked us upstairs and into his room. He shut the door and threw me on the bed. "What are you doing?" I asked. He said nothing as he took off his jacket, took off his tie, and unbuttoned his shirt. He walked over to his dresser, opening it up to two glasses and a bottle of whiskey. He poured some into each. He handed me a glass then sat down on the couch. I tilted my head confused. Cautiously, I walked over and sat down next to him.

"Ar-are you okay?" I asked in a quiet voice, setting my glass down. He chugged his glass and set it down next to mine. "Jason what's wrong?" still without a word, he picked me up and set me on his lap. He had his arms wrapped around my waist and his head on my shoulder. I sighed. "Jason let me go."

"Just just let me hold you," he whispered, sounding quite upset. "We lost a guy."

"What are you talking about?" I asked quietly. I ran my hand up and down along his arm, I adjusted myself so I could lean my head on his shoulder.

He sighed. with a shaky voice, he spoke"This kid I got to deal locally for me. Normally I wouldn't let someone so young in, but his family was going through some tough times. I made an exception and let him do local drug runs for me. He went into the wrong territory and was shot."

I started rubbing my index finger lightly in a circle on his hand. "I'm sorry...  Who's territory?"

"Vipers. It's just that kid. He was so young and now he's dead because of me." he said his voice cracking.

I turned to look at him. I took his face in my hands. He had tears ready to fall out of his eyes. "It wasn't your fault. You helped him out in a tough situation. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." A few stray tears fell from his eyes, which I wiped away with my thumbs. I kissed his forehead and rested mine on his.

"Thank you," he whispered. I smiled at him and rested my head on his shoulder again. We didn't need to talk, just stayed in each other embrace. I soon closed my eyes and drifted off to sleep.

It seems like the devil does have a heart. It seems the devil does care. Maybe I was wrong about him. Maybe I was wrong about us...