Chapter Ten ~

The portrait hung in front of me, painted with bright colors and demanding attention. Dust wasn't present on it, having someone that tended to it and made sure it stayed in perfect condition. In the picture was a man and a woman, and sitting in front of them was a young girl.

The man was older. His dark brown hair was littered with gray and his facial hair was identical. His eyes were strict but kind, the gray-green colors in them shiny, despite being painted. The silver crown upon his head was adorned with purple gems. The fitted suit he wore was black, purple embroidered flowers on the collar. His wife begged him to get them, and he complied.

The woman, her golden hair wavy and perfect, held a small smile. Her hands were placed in front of her, her fingers delicate and smooth. Her blue eyes were happy, shining in the light that was frozen in the picture. Her purple gown fit her nicely, making her curves noticeable. The crown sitting on her head was also silver, and was also ornamented with the same purple stones as the man's. Her makeup was natural and unbelievably unnoticeable.

My eyes drifted to the girl in front of them. A smile painted on her face that showed an almost even row of teeth. Her deep green eyes were wide, shimmering. Her chocolate brown hair, straightened and neat, hung over her shoulders. The dress she wore was a dark purple, black and silver sparkles or gems sewn in different places. Her crown was different from the others, for it was black and the spikes holding up the amethyst stones were slender, like the fingers of an old hag.

"You guys just had to leave me, huh?" I murmured, tears slipping out from the corners of my eyes. They ran down my cheeks and dropped into my lap. "Real smart of you, you know. To leave your sixteen year old daughter by herself to take care of one of the biggest kingdoms. You guys should get an award." I wiped my tears away but they kept coming. Being in my parents' room was always quiet and solemn, allowing me to think. But other times it was sad and depressing. Like now.

A knock came at the door, so quiet I could barely hear it. It drew me out of my thoughts and I quickly made sure my face was dry and I looked presentable. I stood up straight, moving to the door and giving it a tug.

A pink haired male grinned sheepishly when I made eye contact with him. His hands shook as he held a small plate out to me. "You forgot your dessert, Your Majesty. I made your favorite, so I thought you wouldn't want to pass it up."

I took the plate and lifted up the small piece of cloth that laid over the treat, preventing it from getting harmed. I looked at the piece of cake that was red in color. Red velvet cake always used to chase my worries away. I smiled. "Oh, thank you."

Jin nodded. "Anything to make you feel better! I noticed how upset you got at dinner, and I just wanted to tell you that I think you're doing a great job. You don't need to do anything special to gain attention."

I walked past him and shut my parents' door behind me. "It's hard to believe that, but thank you. Walk me to my room, please."

"Yes, of course," Jin said, turning and walking down the hall with me following at his side. "Um, I do have a small request."

I frowned, visions of my past servants blurring my thoughts. It better be small. "State your concerns."

"I want you to listen to what I have to say," he stated, voice firm.

I shot him a weird glance. "Okay."

"When we were at Prince Blaine's the other day, I noticed some weird stuff happening," Jin started. "It could just be me being paranoid as usual, but I felt weird and out of place. Like there were too many eyes on us at the time."

I nodded my head, listening closely. "The others say it was just my imagination, and I guess they could be right, but I thought I should let you know," he continued. "It would be dreadful if something were to happen to you, and I, Kim Seokjin, have already pledged my life to you, so if something did happen I would be ready to die to keep you out of harm's way."

"Oh, uh, that's your job," I stated plainly. Gosh, Eve! He's trying to be kind and you just shove his efforts away. At least be considerate!

Jin chuckled awkwardly. "Yeah, I guess it is, Your Highness."

The rest of the walk was quiet and he bid me a cheery good night before he shut my door and left me to my cake. I wished him a good night's rest, for after he cleaned up dinner he would go to bed. I flung off the cloth that rested on the pastry and sighed, I took the silver fork that laid beside it and gently poked it into the red dough. "Maybe this will clear my head a bit."

---

Who do you guys want to see more of?

Who should Eve interact with for a chapter?

Oh, and be prepared for plot twists in the coming chapters...