Chapter 47

(A/N: I don't want to continuously write Author's Notes in place of Chapters so hopefully my Readers keep up with some of what I write on my 'Bulletin Board'. I did just post that I will be on a semi short Hiatus for all works but I've found that I have free time and it's quiet currently. That is obvious though since it's 2 A.M. but this won't happen often.)

Damon:

Ever since the day that Helena injured my beloved sister I've tried to mostly stay away from home. That was mostly due to ongoing investigations and my need to take up 'jobs'. There was also something that had begun to amuse me to no end. That was exacting a bit of revenge on my niece's biological Father. 

Lily of course didn't know my tampering in his life or that I had found out with my excessive network of information. She didn't need to know about this part of my life. Surely she had already guessed though with how many times she has tended my more serious wounds in the past. Of course there was also the many occasions I missed splashes of blood that had stained my clothing while I was unaware. 

My sister was to kind though and that was something that had recently begun to irritate me to no end. Had I not loved her so severely, I'd have inflicted pain on her until she mended her ways. Helena had nearly died a most gruesome death by my hands at her actions previously. I'd never liked the child but merely absolved to push aside these wayward thoughts for my dear sister's sake. 

Today was a day that I had decided to drop by the house to check on how Lily was doing with our servants, due largely to the fact that I'd been under the assumption she'd be at the testing ceremony with Nathaniel. Imagine my surprise when I stumbled upon her looking for me in my office. 

"What can I do for you, beloved baby sister?"

Lily had spun around in surprise at my voice. My office was rather large and could be described more fitting the word 'Library' if the journals, catalogs, and business ledgers were actually published books instead. She'd been trailing her dexterous fingers along the bindings of some of the journals marked with a yellow spine. 

Had she opened those, she'd have seen the newest additions to my business ventures. I had no doubt the reason she was running her fingers along them was largely due to the fact that they hadn't been there the last time she'd entered my office. 

"Damon," she breathed out in an unsteady voice, "You frightened me."

I raised an eyebrow at her before pushing myself off the wall I'd been leaning against as I watched her move through the room. 

"Were you looking for me?"

She looked sort of nervous as she avoided my eyes slightly. "Yes, actually. While at the ceremony a Caddigan asked if you'd train him."

A Caddigan. Intriguing. They were a very sought after family of warriors. It's said that they had Berserker blood flowing through their veins but no one had found any evidence of such. Since Meridia no longer had any full blooded Berserkers left living, or so it seems, everyone believes this is false information. 

Regardless though, the Caddigan family is highly sought after. Of course I found this very interesting to have someone ask for training from me. 

"Why would a Caddigan ask for me specifically?"

That was one thing I was confused over. How in the hell did they even know about me or that I'd be willing to train them at all?

"He's with Nathaniel right now. That's one of the things that is bothering me though. When I brought up his uncle he stifferened up a bit. Same as when I spoke of his mother. He doesn't seem keen on telling them about you training him but I honestly don't think he'd be willing to talk to me," she paused a moment, "Honestly it was difficult trying to hold a serious conversation because of how much he kept flirting with me. Or at least I thought he was flirting. I can't be to sure since it was weird coming from a twelve year old." 

I already didn't like the little shit. On the other hand, it would be a good opportunity to endear the child to me and hopefully he'd choose to work for me after he completed his training. It really made me wonder if his Berserker gene could be activated with enough stimuli. That is, if that was the truth about their bloodlines of course. 

(A/N: Honestly, I just reread this and realized I'd used endure instead of endear in that sentence. Hopefully you all understood what I was attempting to write lol.)

"Very well. I will go speak with this boy and see if we'd be compatible. You know very well that the only reason I've been training Nathaniel is mostly due to his elements as well as the instability he had been going through since he'd not unlocked his abilities properly."

Lily sighed a bit but she still shot me a small smile before it cleared from her face. She began to wring her hands together in nervousness. 

"Is there anything else you wish to say?"

My eyebrow raised again at her lack of response. After a bout of both of us staring at one another she finally broke down. 

"I'm very sorry, Damon. I know how disappointed you must be with me and the way I've raised Helena. If I'd only listened to you when you told me to make Helena aware of picking the plants in the Garden maybe none of this would've happened. It was more my fault than hers though. I should've warned her that while I was in a trance if she plucked any of the plants that it would damage me. It's completely my fault and I don't want you to continue being angry at me. This is your home and you shouldn't be pushed out of it because you want to avoid me. I miss you a lot and it doesn't quite feel right with you gone so much. I know that you frequently leave but it's different since I know this is out of avoidance than truly being busy. I just-" 

"Lily, shut up please. You know that I'm not angry at you. I'm honestly worried about you and in my frustration I've been trying to calm down. You scared me with your lack of self preservation. It is blatantly obvious that where it concerns Helena, she pushes you around. It's not intentional but it is still concerning. I will love you no matter how much you may frustrate me," I quickly interrupted her ramblings.

At that she begun to silently cry and walk into my arms. I gently ran my hand through her hair to reassure her some. After she'd calmed herself down I told her that I'd go meet this child; Leo.