Chapter 47

[HEY

I'M BACK AGAIN

AND IM SORRY.

I apologize for the really slow update. But I have a feeling you all will really enjoy this chapter and the next (and I mean it this time, lol). Hopefully, I can update on Valentine's Day, which would be great since Valentine's is the date that I first published this book. Can you believe it? A whole year and it's nearly finished! I've improved from C&B, haha.

If I don't make it for Valentine's, just know that the next update is supposed to be for that day.

Btw, music in the multimedia is TROYE SIVAN, MARTIN GARRIX - There For You...!

Enjoy! <3]

Stay Creepy, My Friends!~

Chapter 47

Reese's POV

The hospital room was quiet save for the soft pulses coming from the EKG monitor. Hunter had fallen asleep before I arrived, but I couldn't bring myself to wake him up just to tell him goodbye. I should. I'll be gone for a weekend. One time, he nearly had a heart attack when I came home very late, but that was because he had forgotten to pick me up from school, and his phone wasn't working so I couldn't call him, so I ended up walking home in drizzling rain. He never missed a beat to pick me up ever again after that.

Hunter slept soundly as I reached out and held his hand. Ever since the seizure incident, nurses have been keeping closer eye on him. I felt bad for having to leave, because of that. It makes my nerves thrum thinking about something happening to him while I'm gone and I can't be there for him. Then again, Ben could always teleport us here in such an emergency, but what if we'd still be too late? Agh, stop it, Reese. Quit thinking about this before you send yourself into a panic attack.

"Don't worry too much about me," I whispered to his sleeping mind. "If you're feeling down, be honest about it. Mom and Artem will be here for you, and I'll be back soon."

He groaned unconsciously and knit his brow, as if actually hearing me. His fingers tightened on my hand for a moment and then went slack again. Who knows how long he'll be out. He's been given a cocktail of medicine to help with his pain and stress. I wish I could stay until he wakes up. Hopefully he gets better while I'm away. He'll definitely love a souvenir to perk him up.

"Bremya nikogda ne budet vashim," I murmured sloppy Russian, before giving Hunter's hand a kiss and letting go. Quietly, I made my way out of the room so that he could continue to rest peacefully. Nurses smiled at me as I passed, and that reassured me more than I thought it would.

In the lobby, Ben was looking at paintings as he waited for me. The moment he spotted me stepping out of the elevator, he smiled and waved—his smile was so big that he had to close his eyes for a moment, and it was adorable.

"How was he?" he asked.

"Nurses say he's doing fine. He was asleep when I went up and I didn't have it in me to wake him," I replied.

As if sensing my worry, he held my wrist and said, "He'll be okay, Reese. He can get all the rest he needs here. Don't feel bad."

I nodded and couldn't help but think about how warm Ben's palm was against my skin. "You should've gone with me."

He shook his head. "I don't feel like it's my place. This is personal. And what could I do besides stare?"

"I'm sure he would've liked to see you."