Heart to heart

The moment you all have been waiting for... Well not really but it's close!
________________________
It's been about two hours and Josh and Maya had finally gotten the nursery all painted. The plastic and newspaper was all throw away in the trash bags they had. They couldn't do anything else until the paint dried up, which would take a full 24 hours. So now all they had left to do was wait until Shawn and Katy got back.

"I wonder where Shawn and Katy are?" Josh asked as he was leaned up against the back of the chair that was in the middle of the nursery.

"Yeah I know. I'm starting to get hungry." Maya said as she shifted to where she was in a more comfortable position. She was also leaned on the back of the chair beside Josh.

"I wish we had a way to call them. Tell them their plan worked and that we're good." Maya said making Josh snap his head over to her.

"We are?" He asked shocked. Maya smiled.

"Yeah. Being in here with you has made me realize how much I miss you and I being friends." Maya told him. Josh felt his heart fall. Just friends. He was hoping for more than that. After a moment of silence Josh sighed before speaking up.

"Maya we have to talk." Josh said shaking his head.

"Common Josh were back on good terms with each other. Don't ruin it." She told him shaking her head.

"I can't. Maya I can't just be friends with you." Josh said making Maya sigh. She didn't want to go down this road again.

"Josh, please." She said but Josh kept going.

"No please let me finish." He said as he swallowed hard. He took Maya's hand in his and took it as a good sign when she didn't let go or push him back.

"I love you." He started making Maya close her eyes. "I'm sorry it took me so long to realize it and I wish I could have sooner but I didn't. When I saw you with Simon as a couple for the first time it made me realize just how much I love you and how I could have been so stupid to let you go." He continued on his speech.

"Stop. Stop, please stop." Maya said as she got off the ground and started pacing back and forth in the nursery. "I've heard this speech before. I like you and we should wait until someday. I've been through this before Josh and you saw how that went. I don't want to go through that again, I can't and I won't." Maya said shaking her head. Josh got up off the ground and stood in front of her.

"But I won't happen like that again! I know now that you are the one for me! There's nobody else out there Maya you have to believe me on that!" Josh exclaimed. Maya shook her head.

"I don't want to get hurt again. I just got to the place where I was good with us being just friends. Why can't we be just friends." Maya argued with him desperately. Josh sighed.

"Because I don't want to be just friends with you. I want so much more than that and I know you do as well. I just don't understand why all of a sudden you don't want that." Maya sighed and turned her body and started walking away from Josh.

"Josh we both got hurt. And I don't know about you but, I don't want to go through that again." Maya told him making Josh look down. Maya turned back to him and grabbed his hands. "Look Josh, I'm not saying never. I'm just saying not right now." She finished.

"It's him isn't it." Josh said making Maya shake her head.

"No Josh. No it's not Simon. I don't like Simon anymore but, I think maybe the whole Simon thing is why we can't work out things right now. Not because I still like him or anything but because... I have some things I have to work out with myself right now. I just Simon really bad and I did it in a way that my dad did to my mom. And no matter what you or Riley or even Farkle's says, I did that. I have to make things right before we can move forward. Please understand." Josh looked into her eyes before slowly nodding his head.

"I understand." He said hesitantly. The truth was he did understand but he hoped that it wasn't the case. He hoped that she could look past all of that. But he understood where she was coming from and he wasn't about to push her into something she wasn't ready for.

He didn't know what he expected. That they would walk out of this room a couple, that they would kiss and make up and everything would be okay. He wasn't sure what but them being friends was a start, a start that he has to take, it was better than nothing and Josh was determined to make the most of it.

"We can at least hang out, right? I mean, friends do that." Josh said trying to crack a smile. Maya laughed.

"Yeah we can. Besides, it looks like I'm going to need a new math tutor." Maya joked making Josh let out a chuckle.

"You'll work things out with Simon. He just needs some time." Josh said.

"How did you feel when you saw Adrianna?" Maya asked making Josh bite his lip and look down.

"I had figured out that I wasn't in love with Adrianna before I found her in bed. But it didn't make it feel any better to know that I was her second option. It's a huge blow to someone's ego when they find out that you aren't enough for them." Maya nodded her head.

"Thanks for being honest with me." She said. Josh smiled and nodded his head. Silence fell between them. Josh was about to speak up and say something but he was interrupted.

"Josh, Maya! We're back!" Shawn's voice called out. Josh and Maya turned their heads to the door right before it opened to reveal Shawn. "We brought you dinner!" He exclaimed holding up the bag of takeout.

"Wow it looks great in here!" Katy exclaimed as she came through the door behind Shawn. "And You two look terrible!" She said and she tried to hold back the laugh that she wanted to let out.

"Yeah, we got a little carried away painting." Maya said as she looked at Josh and then back at her parents.

"Well! What are we?" Shawn asked excitedly.

"We're friends." Josh answered emotionless.

"Just friends." Maya said making Shawn's face fall. Katy gave them a sympathetic look.

"Well you guys better eat dinner before it gets too cold." Katy said. Josh took the bag out of Shawn's hand and headed to the kitchen. Maya put on a fake smile and followed him.

"I thought" Shawn said as he looked down the hallway where they had just walked. Katy put a hand on his shoulder.

"You have to let them figure this thing out on their own." After she said that she gave her husband a pat on the back and then walked off.
___________________________
That included today's update! Until next time!